NetApp upgrades management software for cloud systems
OnCommand now part of single user interface for servers, storage
Computerworld - NetApp today announced a new version of its OnCommand management software, which now allows its storage arrays to plug into most leading cloud management systems to be shared across an IT infrastructure.
Using its Alliance Technology Partner Program, NetApp has integrated OnCommand with nearly 20 cloud management partners, including BMC, CA, Fujitsu, Microsoft, newScale, IBM Tivoli and VMware. The vendors' cloud management software products enable automation and management of the cloud infrastructure and integrate with NetApp OnCommand to incorporate NetApp's storage management interface so that there's one user interface to control both servers and storage.According to Chris Cummings, NetApp's vice president of product and solutions marketing, administrators can still use different consoles to manage their environment, including virtual machine admins from VMware vSphere and Microsoft System Center for Hyper-V. "However, the new NetApp OnCommand 5.0 introduces a new dashboard that provides a unified view of the managed storage environment, with point-and-click drill-downs into the relevant management functionality," he said. "An admin can use this to single interface to view alerts, system status, storage that is running out of capacity the fastest, etc., across the environment."
OnCommand, which uses open APIs and a software development kit (SDK), combines key functions of storage management so that a user sees a single view of all storage, a unified backend architecture, and a common configuration repository, NetApp said.
NetApp's new OnCommand management software delivers four fundamental elements that compose a cloud: service catalog, service analytics, automation and self-service. The new NetApp OnCommand unified manager enables the creation of a storage service catalog and provides policy-based automation, including provisioning, data protection and service monitoring.
OnCommand's new Insight tool provides the service analytics for storage and the rest of the infrastructure so users have visibility into their infrastructure in order to optimize a cloud service delivery. This includes usage-based metering, service-level monitoring, and performance and capacity modeling and planning.
"The promise of cloud implementations, including private, public, and hybrid approaches ... [makes] business more agile while making IT more efficient. Thus there are substantial pressure and opportunity for those organizations and cloud service providers to build innovative, economic, and secure infrastructures," Steve Duplessie, senior analyst at market research firm ESG, said in a statement. "Today's NetApp announcements focusing on service automation and analytics are destined to be a cornerstone for any cloud environment because these capabilities along with adjoining partners' feature sets help optimize service levels at the lowest possible cost."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts