NetApp upgrades management software for cloud systems
OnCommand now part of single user interface for servers, storage
Computerworld - NetApp today announced a new version of its OnCommand management software, which now allows its storage arrays to plug into most leading cloud management systems to be shared across an IT infrastructure.
Using its Alliance Technology Partner Program, NetApp has integrated OnCommand with nearly 20 cloud management partners, including BMC, CA, Fujitsu, Microsoft, newScale, IBM Tivoli and VMware. The vendors' cloud management software products enable automation and management of the cloud infrastructure and integrate with NetApp OnCommand to incorporate NetApp's storage management interface so that there's one user interface to control both servers and storage.According to Chris Cummings, NetApp's vice president of product and solutions marketing, administrators can still use different consoles to manage their environment, including virtual machine admins from VMware vSphere and Microsoft System Center for Hyper-V. "However, the new NetApp OnCommand 5.0 introduces a new dashboard that provides a unified view of the managed storage environment, with point-and-click drill-downs into the relevant management functionality," he said. "An admin can use this to single interface to view alerts, system status, storage that is running out of capacity the fastest, etc., across the environment."
OnCommand, which uses open APIs and a software development kit (SDK), combines key functions of storage management so that a user sees a single view of all storage, a unified backend architecture, and a common configuration repository, NetApp said.
NetApp's new OnCommand management software delivers four fundamental elements that compose a cloud: service catalog, service analytics, automation and self-service. The new NetApp OnCommand unified manager enables the creation of a storage service catalog and provides policy-based automation, including provisioning, data protection and service monitoring.
OnCommand's new Insight tool provides the service analytics for storage and the rest of the infrastructure so users have visibility into their infrastructure in order to optimize a cloud service delivery. This includes usage-based metering, service-level monitoring, and performance and capacity modeling and planning.
"The promise of cloud implementations, including private, public, and hybrid approaches ... [makes] business more agile while making IT more efficient. Thus there are substantial pressure and opportunity for those organizations and cloud service providers to build innovative, economic, and secure infrastructures," Steve Duplessie, senior analyst at market research firm ESG, said in a statement. "Today's NetApp announcements focusing on service automation and analytics are destined to be a cornerstone for any cloud environment because these capabilities along with adjoining partners' feature sets help optimize service levels at the lowest possible cost."
- Reduce IT Burdens: Regulation, Legal Hold & Discovery Download this white paper to learn how Delphix can be an integral part of ensuring your archiving strategy actually enables your business.
- Budd Van Lines Moves Data Closer to Home Shipping and logistics company Budd Van Lines uses Infinio to improve performance on their VDI environment. The company employs a virtualized datacenter based...
- Storage Performance with Cost Control As IT groups expand their server virtualization initiatives, central storage performance can become the bottleneck and create poor end user experience.
- Server-side Caching for the VMware Admin vExpert David Davis weights in on how best-in-class server-side caching solutions can drastically improve storage performance and reduce latency without the addition of...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts