IDG News Service - Hoping to further boost its position in display advertising, Google scooped up Admeld, a company that aims to simplify the display ad buying process, the companies said Monday.
They did not disclose the value of the deal.
Admeld lets publishers connect from one place to a variety of ad networks, demand-side platforms and agency trading desks. Ad buyers from those sources compete for impressions through Admeld's unified auction. Admeld also offers real-time analytics. "
"We often hear from major website publishers that ad management today is still mind-numbingly complicated and inefficient," wrote Neal Mohan, Google's vice president of display advertising.
They also hope to improve efficiencies and the flexibility of ad management tools, they said.
"Though we have no specific integration plans yet, we imagine our combined offerings can help publishers make more informed, efficient, and profitable decisions across all tiers of their inventory," Michael Barrett, CEO for Admeld, wrote in a blog post about the deal.
The companies said that Admeld will continue to support other ad networks, demand-side platforms, exchanges and ad servers. The deal is subject to regulatory review.
While Google has historically been the underdog in display advertising, it just recently took the top spot. IDC recently reported that in the first quarter of this year, Google's share of the display ad market rose to 14.7%, for the first time beating Yahoo, which had 13.6% of the market.
Rumors of Google's purchase of Admeld surfaced last week but at the time neither company confirmed the acquisition. Techcrunch reported that the deal was worth $400 million.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!