IDG News Service - Hoping to further boost its position in display advertising, Google scooped up Admeld, a company that aims to simplify the display ad buying process, the companies said Monday.
They did not disclose the value of the deal.
Admeld lets publishers connect from one place to a variety of ad networks, demand-side platforms and agency trading desks. Ad buyers from those sources compete for impressions through Admeld's unified auction. Admeld also offers real-time analytics. "
"We often hear from major website publishers that ad management today is still mind-numbingly complicated and inefficient," wrote Neal Mohan, Google's vice president of display advertising.
They also hope to improve efficiencies and the flexibility of ad management tools, they said.
"Though we have no specific integration plans yet, we imagine our combined offerings can help publishers make more informed, efficient, and profitable decisions across all tiers of their inventory," Michael Barrett, CEO for Admeld, wrote in a blog post about the deal.
The companies said that Admeld will continue to support other ad networks, demand-side platforms, exchanges and ad servers. The deal is subject to regulatory review.
While Google has historically been the underdog in display advertising, it just recently took the top spot. IDC recently reported that in the first quarter of this year, Google's share of the display ad market rose to 14.7%, for the first time beating Yahoo, which had 13.6% of the market.
Rumors of Google's purchase of Admeld surfaced last week but at the time neither company confirmed the acquisition. Techcrunch reported that the deal was worth $400 million.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts