Google Chromebooks available for pre-order
Orders can go in for Samsung and Acer Chromebooks on Amazon and BestBuy
Computerworld - Google Chromebooks can now be pre-ordered at Amazon.com and BestBuy.com.
Google made the announcement Thursday on Twitter, saying that Chromebooks from both Acer and Samsung are available.
Amazon notes that it's taking orders for the Samsung Series 5 3G ($499.99) and the Samsung Series 5 Wi-Fi ($429.99) -- both come in either black or white. The online seller also is taking orders for Acer's Cromia 3G ($449.99) and the Cromia Wi-Fi ($379.99).
BestBuy.com is taking orders for the two Samsung models at the same pricing.
For some of the Chromebooks, the sites say they simply have not been released yet; for others, like the Samsung Series 5 3G Chromebook, it's noted that they are slated to ship on June 15.
When Google first unveiled the Chromebooks, company executives said they'd first be available on June 15.
Last month, Google took the wraps off the upcoming Chromebooks, which run Google's Chrome operating system, at the company's annual Google I/O developers conference in San Francisco.
Google's Chromebooks, according to industry watchers, could be a boon for the company that has been trying to work its way into the lucrative enterprise market. If the Chromebooks are adopted in the corporate world, then Google's OS and its office-related cloud apps would get a lot more play in the enterprise as well.
To better woo businesses, Google is selling the Chromebooks on a subscription basis to companies with a starting price of $28 per user.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Google Chrome OS
- Samsung Chromebook 2 review: Compelling -- but not without compromise
- Microsoft concedes Chromebooks are work-worthy
- One user's path to a Chromebook enterprise
- Google pushes Chrome app store with more money-making options for devs
- Google goes offline with Chrome Apps for Mac
- Chromebook Pixel review: A luxury laptop for life in the cloud
- Orlando tries out 600 Chromebooks
- In-depth: Google's Chrome OS and Samsung's Chromebook
- Google Chromebooks available for pre-order
- Visual tour: Google's Chrome OS
Read more about Laptops in Computerworld's Laptops Topic Center.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!