Google Chromebooks available for pre-order
Orders can go in for Samsung and Acer Chromebooks on Amazon and BestBuy
Computerworld - Google Chromebooks can now be pre-ordered at Amazon.com and BestBuy.com.
Google made the announcement Thursday on Twitter, saying that Chromebooks from both Acer and Samsung are available.
Amazon notes that it's taking orders for the Samsung Series 5 3G ($499.99) and the Samsung Series 5 Wi-Fi ($429.99) -- both come in either black or white. The online seller also is taking orders for Acer's Cromia 3G ($449.99) and the Cromia Wi-Fi ($379.99).
BestBuy.com is taking orders for the two Samsung models at the same pricing.
For some of the Chromebooks, the sites say they simply have not been released yet; for others, like the Samsung Series 5 3G Chromebook, it's noted that they are slated to ship on June 15.
When Google first unveiled the Chromebooks, company executives said they'd first be available on June 15.
Last month, Google took the wraps off the upcoming Chromebooks, which run Google's Chrome operating system, at the company's annual Google I/O developers conference in San Francisco.
Google's Chromebooks, according to industry watchers, could be a boon for the company that has been trying to work its way into the lucrative enterprise market. If the Chromebooks are adopted in the corporate world, then Google's OS and its office-related cloud apps would get a lot more play in the enterprise as well.
To better woo businesses, Google is selling the Chromebooks on a subscription basis to companies with a starting price of $28 per user.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Google Chrome OS
- Google goes offline with Chrome Apps for Mac
- Chromebook Pixel review: A luxury laptop for life in the cloud
- Orlando tries out 600 Chromebooks
- In-depth: Google's Chrome OS and Samsung's Chromebook
- Google Chromebooks available for pre-order
- Visual tour: Google's Chrome OS
- Google Chromebook's auto-update scheme will be hard sell
- Google 'Chromebook' focuses on enterprise push
- First look: Chrome OS beta's Achilles' heel is its reliance on the Web
- Image gallery: Google's Cr-48 Chrome notebook
Read more about Laptops in Computerworld's Laptops Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts