HP's TouchPad tablet with Wi-Fi coming July 1
A model for AT&T's network is due this summer
Computerworld - The HP TouchPad tablet running WebOS will be available in the U.S. on July 1, starting at $499.99 for a 16 GB, Wi-Fi version, HP said today.
AT&T will also sell a cellular wireless version of the tablet "later this summer," HP said in a statement. No details on pricing for the AT&T version were announced.
The Wi-Fi version will also include a 32 GB model for $599.99. Retailers will include Best Buy, Staples and others.
HP said the Wi-Fi version will be available in the U.K., Ireland, France and Germany a few days after going on sale in the U.S., and in Canada in mid-July. Sales in Italy, Spain, Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand and Singapore will "follow later this year," HP said.
The TouchPad's display measures 9.7-inches, the same as the iPad, the clear market leader in a crowded field of tablets. HP said in February that the WebOS will set its tablet apart, including its tight integration with other products running WebOS, including its phones, printers and eventually PCs. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9208859/HP_launches_first_run_at_the_tablet_market
Optional accessories sold separately for the TouchPad include a Touchstone charge dock, a wireless keyboard and a case.
In a statement, Jon Rubinstein, general manager of the Palm unit at HP, which is behind the WebOS, called the new tablet "only the beginning of what HP's scale can do with WebOS."
- Samsung to offer 3 new tablets starting Feb. 13
- Tablets remain tops in American gift-buying plans
- 'Phablets' are eating into the tablet market, IDC says
- Apple springs Retina iPad Mini on customers
- The puzzling Lumia 2520 tablet: Will it disappear when Microsoft buys Nokia?
- Dell launches four new tablets -- all on Intel chips
- Few use tablets to replace laptops
- New Kindle Fire HDX's tech support button could push IT to yell 'Mayday!'
- Kindle Fire HDX tablets show big push for business users
- Microsoft kicks off iPad buyback deal in latest effort to juice Surface sales
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!