HP's TouchPad tablet with Wi-Fi coming July 1
A model for AT&T's network is due this summer
Computerworld - The HP TouchPad tablet running WebOS will be available in the U.S. on July 1, starting at $499.99 for a 16 GB, Wi-Fi version, HP said today.
AT&T will also sell a cellular wireless version of the tablet "later this summer," HP said in a statement. No details on pricing for the AT&T version were announced.
The Wi-Fi version will also include a 32 GB model for $599.99. Retailers will include Best Buy, Staples and others.
HP said the Wi-Fi version will be available in the U.K., Ireland, France and Germany a few days after going on sale in the U.S., and in Canada in mid-July. Sales in Italy, Spain, Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand and Singapore will "follow later this year," HP said.
The TouchPad's display measures 9.7-inches, the same as the iPad, the clear market leader in a crowded field of tablets. HP said in February that the WebOS will set its tablet apart, including its tight integration with other products running WebOS, including its phones, printers and eventually PCs. http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9208859/HP_launches_first_run_at_the_tablet_market
Optional accessories sold separately for the TouchPad include a Touchstone charge dock, a wireless keyboard and a case.
In a statement, Jon Rubinstein, general manager of the Palm unit at HP, which is behind the WebOS, called the new tablet "only the beginning of what HP's scale can do with WebOS."
- Samsung to offer 3 new tablets starting Feb. 13
- Tablets remain tops in American gift-buying plans
- 'Phablets' are eating into the tablet market, IDC says
- Apple springs Retina iPad Mini on customers
- The puzzling Lumia 2520 tablet: Will it disappear when Microsoft buys Nokia?
- Dell launches four new tablets -- all on Intel chips
- Few use tablets to replace laptops
- New Kindle Fire HDX's tech support button could push IT to yell 'Mayday!'
- Kindle Fire HDX tablets show big push for business users
- Microsoft kicks off iPad buyback deal in latest effort to juice Surface sales
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts