IDG News Service - Google is tying its Analytics and Webmaster Tools applications more closely together in an effort to give Web publishers a joint view of internal site traffic and search engine optimization (SEO) data.
Web publishers can apply to participate in a test run of the linked tools.
This initial integration attempt will surface some Webmaster Tools data in the Analytics interface, such as the number of Google search queries and the query terms that returned pages from the publisher's site, as well as the number of times and the rate at which users clicked to the site from Google results.
"It's great to see that Google will merge data across the platforms with an integration," he said via e-mail.
In addition, Web publishers will be able to slice-and-dice the SEO data and create graphs using Analytics tools. "For example, you can filter for queries that had more than 100 clicks and see a chart for how much each of those queries contributed to your overall clicks from top queries," wrote Christina Chen and Torrey Hoffman from Google's Webmaster Tools group in a blog post on Tuesday.
While Webmaster Tools data focuses on how a site's pages perform in Google search results, Analytics tracks users' activities within the site. Having a combined view of both sets of data has been a popular request.
"We've heard from many of you that an integration between Webmaster Tools and Google Analytics is at the top of your wishlists," wrote Trevor Claiborne, from the Google Analytics group in another blog post.
Didit's Lee said that meshing the data from the two applications will make life easier for webmasters.
"Combining the data will give webmasters even more insight into what happened and what to change to have more positive outcomes and less negative ones," he said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts