IDG News Service - Google is tying its Analytics and Webmaster Tools applications more closely together in an effort to give Web publishers a joint view of internal site traffic and search engine optimization (SEO) data.
Web publishers can apply to participate in a test run of the linked tools.
This initial integration attempt will surface some Webmaster Tools data in the Analytics interface, such as the number of Google search queries and the query terms that returned pages from the publisher's site, as well as the number of times and the rate at which users clicked to the site from Google results.
"It's great to see that Google will merge data across the platforms with an integration," he said via e-mail.
In addition, Web publishers will be able to slice-and-dice the SEO data and create graphs using Analytics tools. "For example, you can filter for queries that had more than 100 clicks and see a chart for how much each of those queries contributed to your overall clicks from top queries," wrote Christina Chen and Torrey Hoffman from Google's Webmaster Tools group in a blog post on Tuesday.
While Webmaster Tools data focuses on how a site's pages perform in Google search results, Analytics tracks users' activities within the site. Having a combined view of both sets of data has been a popular request.
"We've heard from many of you that an integration between Webmaster Tools and Google Analytics is at the top of your wishlists," wrote Trevor Claiborne, from the Google Analytics group in another blog post.
Didit's Lee said that meshing the data from the two applications will make life easier for webmasters.
"Combining the data will give webmasters even more insight into what happened and what to change to have more positive outcomes and less negative ones," he said.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!