Apple offers preview of iCloud music feature
With iTunes 10.3 beta and iOS 4.3.3, users can download purchased tracks to multiple devices
Computerworld - Apple is letting customers try out one feature of its upcoming iCloud months before the service is set to debut.
Late Monday, Apple made a beta of iTunes 10.3 available for downloading, and switched on "iTunes in the Cloud" for that application as well as for the iTunes apps bundled with iOS 4.3.3, the current version that powers the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
iTunes in the Cloud is Apple's name for the iCloud feature that lets users download tracks and albums purchased through the iTunes store to as many as 10 different devices, including Macs and Windows PCs running iTunes 10.3, iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches.
Once downloaded to a device, any of those tunes can be played.
Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled iCloud Monday at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) keynote, and said that the full service would be available this fall, at the same time that iOS 5 launches.
In iTunes 10.3, users must set a new preference option to automatically receive music purchased on other devices linked to the same iTunes account. That setting is under "Store" in the iTunes Preferences window; checking '"Music" under the "Automatic Downloads" section, for example, auto-downloads tracks bought on, say, an iPhone, to the Mac or PC running iTunes 10.3.
On an iPhone, the same option is under "Store" in the "Settings" app.
Alternately, users can manually request downloads to each device.
On an iTunes 10.3-equipped Mac, for instance, users can select tracks to download from the Purchased section of their library, clicking on the cloud-style icon to begin the download.
The process is similar on an iOS device.
Apps and books purchased through Apple's iBook app or via iTunes can also be downloaded to multiple devices.
The for-a-fee "iTunes Match" is not yet available, however. That $25-per-year service will scan a customer's iTunes collection, match those tunes that were not bought through Apple's store against the 18 million tracks in Apple's library, then make the matches available for instant downloading to the maximum 10 devices.
The beta of iTunes 10.3 can be downloaded from Apple's Web site.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The 5 best features in Apple's iOS 5
- QuickPoll: Is iCloud B2C cloud perfection or merely Apple playing catch-up?
- Apple plays customer loyalty, anti-Google cards with iCloud, say analysts
- How the Apple iCloud compares to Google's cloud
- Apple offers preview of iCloud music feature
- How to upgrade to OS X Lion
- High on iCloud, Apple slates MobileMe's demise
- Apple's iCloud and iOS 5: New challenges for the enterprise
- Apple iOS 5 cuts iPhone, iPad loose from computers, embraces the cloud
- Jobs unveils free iCloud sync, storage service
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts