InfoWorld - CEOs can come across as the chief sales officers in interviews, aggressively repeating bullet points that may or may not answer the question at hand. Paul Maritz, CEO of VMware, is not that type of guy. From all appearances, he is a deep thinker with a philosophical bent -- not to mention he has bona fide technical credentials that stretch back to first half of the 1980s, when he helped Intel create programming tools for its emerging x86 platform.
Before becoming CEO of VMware, where he replaced founder and CEO Diane Green in 2008, Maritz was best known for his 14-year stint at Microsoft, during which time he oversaw the development and marketing of Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Visual Studio, and SQL Server, as well as the Office and Exchange product lines.
Clearly, Maritz has been eyewitness to tremendous change in the industry, which he sees ramping up again as we enter the post-PC era. At VMware, Maritz has helped his company solidify a dominant position in virtualization, but as he made clear in a recent interview conducted by IDG Enterprise Chief Content Officer John Gallant and InfoWorld Editor in Chief Eric Knorr, he has no intention of standing still. The conversation began with Maritz's assessment of where VMware stands today and how it plans to step beyond virtualization.
John Gallant: People know VMware -- your strength in both server and desktop virtualization -- but what's your overall strategy going forward?
You are viewing Insider content. Browse other Insider articles.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All App Development White Papers | Webcasts