High on iCloud, Apple slates MobileMe's demise
Angry fans of oft-mocked service say they've been cheated, abandoned as Apple names June 2012 shutoff
Computerworld - Apple on Monday made it official, saying it will pull the plug on its MobileMe sync and storage service in 2012.
Apple emailed MobileMe subscribers with the news, telling them it would shutter the service in just over a year.
"Your MobileMe subscription will be automatically extended through June 30, 2012, at no additional charge," Apple's email read. "After that date, MobileMe will no longer be available."
The new iCloud service, which CEO Steve Jobs unveiled earlier Monday, will effectively replace MobileMe this fall when Apple will also launch iOS 5, its next mobile operating system. iCloud will be free for all owners of Macs running Mac OS X 10.7, aka Lion, or of devices powered by iOS 5.
Jobs didn't sound unhappy that MobileMe was disappearing. "It wasn't our finest hour, just let me say that," Jobs said of MobileMe as he introduced iCloud.
MobileMe, which cost $99 per year, or $149 for a five-user Family Pack, stumbled after its 2008 launch, dogged by problems ranging from slow synchronization to an 11-day email outage.
Nor was the news unexpected. In February Apple pulled MobileMe from its online store, prompting speculation that a replacement was in the works.
Current MobileMe subscribers will be allowed to keep their email address when they shift to iCloud, and can move their email, contacts, calendar and bookmarks to the new service, said Apple.
But Apple did not spell out a future for MobileMe's iDisk -- a 20GB online storage account. Apparently, that data won't be transferable.
iCloud comes with just 5GB of storage space, and devotes that to email messages; documents produced by Apple's Pages, Numbers and Keynote applications; and back-ups of some data. According to what Apple's revealed about iCloud, it will have no online storage suitable for files such as Microsoft Office documents or Quicken backups, or any way to store and sync all kinds files, as services like Dropbox can.
MobileMe's demise, even though it's more than a year in the future, drove some Mac owners to vent on Apple's support forum.
On one thread, users who had just recently had their credit cards charged for a MobileMe renewal complained that they were paying for something that everyone -- including themselves -- would get for free when iCloud rolls out this fall.
- The 5 best features in Apple's iOS 5
- QuickPoll: Is iCloud B2C cloud perfection or merely Apple playing catch-up?
- Apple plays customer loyalty, anti-Google cards with iCloud, say analysts
- How the Apple iCloud compares to Google's cloud
- Apple offers preview of iCloud music feature
- How to upgrade to OS X Lion
- High on iCloud, Apple slates MobileMe's demise
- Apple's iCloud and iOS 5: New challenges for the enterprise
- Apple iOS 5 cuts iPhone, iPad loose from computers, embraces the cloud
- Jobs unveils free iCloud sync, storage service
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Top 5 Reasons for Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery There is no question that every business wants to protect their operations from downtime and loss of data. But many companies don't have...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts