HTC Sensation 4G goes on sale June 12 for $200
The powerful device features a 1.2GHz processor and Android 2.3
Computerworld - One of the most powerful new Android 2.3 smartphones, the HTC Sensation 4G, will be available exclusively for T-Mobile USA networks and put on sale at some Wal-Mart stores as early as June 12.
The Sensation features a 1.2GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. It will sell for $199.99 after rebate with a two-year service agreement for voice and data, T-Mobile said Wednesday.
With that much processing power, the Sensation is at the very top of what is being offered in today's market for smartphones, some of which sell for as much as $300 with a service plan.
The Sensation will be T-Mobile's most powerful smartphone and will run over the carrier's 4G network, which is HSPA+ or HSPA+42 where available. The download speeds on those networks can rival LTE network speeds from Verizon Wireless, which advertises that users can get download speeds of up to 12 Mbps.
T-Mobile advertises up to 14.4 Mbps downloads for the Sensation on its spec sheet.
The Sensation boasts other premium features, including a 4.3-in. touchscreen display with a 960-by-540-pixel resolution. T-Mobile calls the smartphone a "must-have for high-end smartphone fans," including those who value video and audio quality. In that area, HTC has preloaded various applications such as HTC Watch, a library of movies and TV shows for rent or purchase, as well as HTC Listen, a library of millions of songs that can be purchased and transferred to another device or computer.
T-Mobile has enabled a video chat application by Qik, which operates over T-Mobile's network and Wi-Fi. There is an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera that complements a VGA front-facing camera. The Sensation can also record HD video.
The device measures 4.96 inches by 2.57 inches and is .44 inches thick. It weighs 5.22 ounces, putting it on the heavy end of smartphones.
Internal storage is 1GB, but the phone comes with a MicrosSD expansion slot. The 1520 mAH Lithium-Ion battery supports up to about eight hours of talk time on T-Mobile's GSM network.
T-Mobile explained that the Sensation will by available by June 15 on its Web site and in T-Mobile stores, but added that select Wal-Mart stores are expected to have it as early as June 12.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts