HTC Sensation 4G goes on sale June 12 for $200
The powerful device features a 1.2GHz processor and Android 2.3
Computerworld - One of the most powerful new Android 2.3 smartphones, the HTC Sensation 4G, will be available exclusively for T-Mobile USA networks and put on sale at some Wal-Mart stores as early as June 12.
The Sensation features a 1.2GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor. It will sell for $199.99 after rebate with a two-year service agreement for voice and data, T-Mobile said Wednesday.
With that much processing power, the Sensation is at the very top of what is being offered in today's market for smartphones, some of which sell for as much as $300 with a service plan.
The Sensation will be T-Mobile's most powerful smartphone and will run over the carrier's 4G network, which is HSPA+ or HSPA+42 where available. The download speeds on those networks can rival LTE network speeds from Verizon Wireless, which advertises that users can get download speeds of up to 12 Mbps.
T-Mobile advertises up to 14.4 Mbps downloads for the Sensation on its spec sheet.
The Sensation boasts other premium features, including a 4.3-in. touchscreen display with a 960-by-540-pixel resolution. T-Mobile calls the smartphone a "must-have for high-end smartphone fans," including those who value video and audio quality. In that area, HTC has preloaded various applications such as HTC Watch, a library of movies and TV shows for rent or purchase, as well as HTC Listen, a library of millions of songs that can be purchased and transferred to another device or computer.
T-Mobile has enabled a video chat application by Qik, which operates over T-Mobile's network and Wi-Fi. There is an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera that complements a VGA front-facing camera. The Sensation can also record HD video.
The device measures 4.96 inches by 2.57 inches and is .44 inches thick. It weighs 5.22 ounces, putting it on the heavy end of smartphones.
Internal storage is 1GB, but the phone comes with a MicrosSD expansion slot. The 1520 mAH Lithium-Ion battery supports up to about eight hours of talk time on T-Mobile's GSM network.
T-Mobile explained that the Sensation will by available by June 15 on its Web site and in T-Mobile stores, but added that select Wal-Mart stores are expected to have it as early as June 12.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control.
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
All Smartphones White Papers |
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!