IDG News Service - A U.S. senator wants Apple and Google to require some applications in their mobile app stores to have privacy policies as a way to protect users against location tracking.
Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.), chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee's privacy subcommittee, called on the two mobile OS makers to require privacy policies for "location-aware" apps in a letter sent to the CEOs of Apple and Google on Wednesday. Neither company requires apps they sell to have privacy policies in place, he said in the letter.
"Apple and Google have each said time and again that they are committed to protecting users' privacy," Franken wrote. "This is an easy opportunity for your companies to put that commitment into action."
A recent study from TRUSTe and Harris Interactive found that less than 20 percent of the 340 top free apps available through mobile networks have links to privacy policies, Franken said.
Franken's letter follows hearings in Congress this month on location tracking on mobile phones. Apple and Google have sent mixed signals on what information they collect about users, Franken said in a May 10 hearing.
Other senators have called for a new privacy law to protect mobile customers.
Representatives of Google and Apple weren't immediately available for comment.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is email@example.com.
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup Checklist Read this checklist to learn how to create a back up strategy to quickly and easily protect your endpoint data.
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts