Infosys faces grand jury as visa probe broadens
But Macmanus' letter does acknowledge that B-1 fraud is a problem, and notes that the State Department has "taken concrete steps to combat illegal work performed while in a B-1 status."
Those steps include "specific additional lines of questioning" at visa interviews conducted by consular officers. The officers now "probe for specific details," the letter said.
At one consulate, the B-1 visa refusal rate has since increased by 25%, Macmanus said.
Macmanus also disclosed that in the last year, "five large employers have been suspended from this program as a result of fraud discovered in visa applications filed by purported employees," he said. The suspended employers were not named in the letter.
Macmanus' letter also indicates that the State Department may be getting ready to remove or substantially change a provision in its rules that now allows workers to use a "B-1 in lieu of H-1B visa" if specific criteria are met.
Macmanus estimated that there are fewer than 1,000 B-1 in lieu of H-1B visas issued in any given year. In 2010, Indian nationals were issues 1,722 B-1 business visas, and 294,120 combination B-1/B-2 visas. The B-2 is a tourist visa.
Grassley said the State Department's "efforts are a step in the right direction, but more work will be needed in this area to ensure the integrity of our visa programs. This includes the ability for the department to maintain accurate statistics that will help us understand how we can better close loopholes to make sure that American workers are given first priority for jobs."
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GOP presses ahead on H-1B, green cards with vague, muddy statement
- 5 reasons why your IT job search is getting harder
- Professors warn that grads could face competition from H-1B workers
- Infosys ran 'unlawful' visa scheme, U.S. alleges in settlement
- U.S. set to disclose Infosys visa case resolution
- Infosys prepares U.S. settlement over visa use, as it faces new class action suit
- House Democrats push ahead on immigration, H-1B
- Utility cuts IT workforce, hires Indian outsourcers
- IBM settles with U.S. over alleged discrimination in job ads
- H-1B workers in line for Obamacare work
Read more about IT Outsourcing in Computerworld's IT Outsourcing Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts