AT&T to launch its LTE network in 5 cities this summer
First cities are Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio; 10 more to be added later in the year
Computerworld - AT&T said it will activate its LTE wireless network this summer in five cities: Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.
The company will roll out the mobile broadband network in 10 more cities by the end of the year, AT&T CTO John Donovan said in a statement.
In addition, AT&T will add some LTE devices -- presumably smartphones, tablets and USB aircards -- to its portfolio this year, Donovan said. He didn't say how many of those devices will work on LTE networks, but he said 20 4G devices will be added this year.
AT&T counts both LTE and HSPA+ as 4G networks, as do other carriers, although the definition of 4G varies widely. Most experts agree that LTE (Long-Term Evolution) is a 4G (or fourth-generation) network. Generally, LTE speeds in the U.S. have been lower than than 10Mbps for both uplinks and downlinks. AT&T hasn't said what download and upload speeds users will get from its network.
Verizon Wireless has LTE networks in dozens of cities. It said the service, which it launched last fall, offers download speeds of up to 12Mbps and uploads of up to 5Mbps.
HSPA+ can theoretically provide 21Mbps downlink speeds on an uncrowded network.
AT&T said it has spent $75 billion on its wired and wireless networks in the past four years, and it plans to invest $19 billion this year.
AT&T has moved more slowly than Verizon on LTE partly because LTE is a newer technology that requires more lab testing, according to several AT&T executives.
Verizon's LTE network experienced a two-day outage in April. The company has never explained what caused the service disruption.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts