IBM Rational tops Microsoft Visual Studio in developer survey
InfoWorld - In a worldwide survey of more than 1,200 developers last month, IBM's Rational tools suite was rated highest in user satisfaction, followed by Microsoft's Visual Studio and Zend Technologies Zend Studio.
The Evans Data annual User's Choice Software Development Platform survey had Rational as tops in six categories, including application modeling, requirements management, technical support quality and support for remote development, frameworks, and multiple languages. Rational also had the best overall score in Evans's ranking system. Visual Studio scored highest for database integration, visual and declarative support, and size and quality of the community. Zend, which specializes in PHP development, was tops for Web design and development tools and availability of third-party tools.
[ An Evans survey about application development frameworks released last year was dismissed by Ruby on Rails founder David Heinemeier Hansson, after his technology did not score well in the Evans report. | Keep up with the latest developer news with InfoWorld's Developer World newsletter. | Follow Paul Krill on Twitter. ]
"Providing developers with a superior development environment and tools is an essential strategic element of technology adoption and directly correlates to the eventual success of platforms and vendors," said Janel Garvin, CEO of Evans, in a statement released by the company. Developers were asked to identify any of the nine top development platforms they use, then rate 18 elements of those platforms.
Other products that showed up in the survey include Oracle's JDeveloper, JBoss, Eclipse, Genuitec MyEclipse, Adobe Flash Builder, and Embarcadero's Delphi. The survey, Evans said, was not vendor-sponsored. But several companies whose products were mentioned in the study, including IBM, Microsoft, and Oracle, are included on a partial list of Evans clients. Zend, however, is not a client.
This article, "IBM Rational tops Microsoft Visual Studio in developer survey," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about application development in InfoWorld's Application Development Channel.
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed With JRebel, developers get to see their code changes immediately, fine-tune their code with incremental changes, debug, explore and deploy their code with...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts