IBM Rational tops Microsoft Visual Studio in developer survey
InfoWorld - In a worldwide survey of more than 1,200 developers last month, IBM's Rational tools suite was rated highest in user satisfaction, followed by Microsoft's Visual Studio and Zend Technologies Zend Studio.
The Evans Data annual User's Choice Software Development Platform survey had Rational as tops in six categories, including application modeling, requirements management, technical support quality and support for remote development, frameworks, and multiple languages. Rational also had the best overall score in Evans's ranking system. Visual Studio scored highest for database integration, visual and declarative support, and size and quality of the community. Zend, which specializes in PHP development, was tops for Web design and development tools and availability of third-party tools.
[ An Evans survey about application development frameworks released last year was dismissed by Ruby on Rails founder David Heinemeier Hansson, after his technology did not score well in the Evans report. | Keep up with the latest developer news with InfoWorld's Developer World newsletter. | Follow Paul Krill on Twitter. ]
"Providing developers with a superior development environment and tools is an essential strategic element of technology adoption and directly correlates to the eventual success of platforms and vendors," said Janel Garvin, CEO of Evans, in a statement released by the company. Developers were asked to identify any of the nine top development platforms they use, then rate 18 elements of those platforms.
Other products that showed up in the survey include Oracle's JDeveloper, JBoss, Eclipse, Genuitec MyEclipse, Adobe Flash Builder, and Embarcadero's Delphi. The survey, Evans said, was not vendor-sponsored. But several companies whose products were mentioned in the study, including IBM, Microsoft, and Oracle, are included on a partial list of Evans clients. Zend, however, is not a client.
This article, "IBM Rational tops Microsoft Visual Studio in developer survey," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about application development in InfoWorld's Application Development Channel.
- DevOps meets ALM in the Cloud - Cloud DevOps PaaS To improve software delivery performance and effectiveness, teams need automation, governance, architecture best practices, and increased team collaboration. Find out more.
- Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed With JRebel, developers get to see their code changes immediately, fine-tune their code with incremental changes, debug, explore and deploy their code with...
- What Developers Want: The End of Application Redeploys Eliminate application restarts in Java with JRebel! JRebel is a JVM plugin that eliminates application redeploys from the Java development cycle, a process...
- How a German energy company saved 1 day per week of development time with JRebel Check out the following case study to see how Heliocentris, a global energy supply and efficiency company deployed a development solution that was...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts