Square iPad app makes cash registers history
New app turns Apple's tablet, Android devices into modern-day cash registers
Computerworld - It might be time to become a little less attached to your wallet.
At a news conference in San Francisco, the company unveiled two mobile applications designed to let shoppers and stores use digital devices instead of a cash register or credit card terminal when conducting transactions.
Square Register, a new free app for Apple's iPad, is designed to speed up the checkout process, track sales and make it easy for businesses to communicate with customers on their mobile devices. The touch-enabled point-of-sale and checkout app essentially replaces stores' cash registers.
The application can also generate digital receipts, update pricing and maintain virtual storefronts.
The company also unveiled Card Case, an app designed to help iPhone and Android users find local businesses and track and store digital receipts. The Card Case app also lets users set up tabs for their favorite merchants, making purchasing instant and easy. Card Case, according to Square, can be activated through a text message invitation from Square after the user makes a credit card purchase at a participating merchant.
"Cash registers and credit card terminals are relics of an expensive, complicated, and impersonal commercial transaction system," said Dorsey, CEO of Square. "With Register and Card Case, we're transforming everyday transactions between buyers and sellers into something special."
The Square Register app for iPad is available for free in Apple's App Store.
Square deal turns Apple iPhone into iWallet
Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with Yankee Group, noted that there already are a lot of portable payment systems available. What sets Square's apps apart is that they take advantage of Apple's iPhone and iPad. And that, he says, makes it cool.
"A waiter could hand a customer a digital menu," said Kerravala. "The customer could click on a wine and get a description, maybe check out how a meal is prepared and then pay on the iPad, as well. The iPad can make the dining experience much more interactive, with payment being part of that."
The iPad, he added, allows the portable payment system to do more than just process payments.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
All Mobile Apps White Papers |
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!