Lowe's plans to hire up to 300 IT pros
Retailer says IT staff now tops 1,000
Computerworld - Tech companies will sometimes announce IT hiring plans, but retailers rarely do. An exception might be Lowe's Companies Inc., which said Monday that it plans to fill up to 300 IT jobs, including 150 new positions.
The jobs, which cover a variety of IT areas, will be based in Mooresville, N.C., the home improvement retailer's headquarters. IT hiring has been on an upswing generally in recent months.
The company said its IT investment is intended to "develop a technology portfolio that can seamlessly support the operations of more than 1,750 stores nationwide, create user-friendly processes and applications on Lowe's.com, ensure secure data sharing and storage, and prepare for future platforms that will help Lowe's better serve its customers."
In a statement, Lowe's CIO Mike Brown said that the company "is looking for the most knowledgeable and talented IT professionals to help us meet our goal of supporting an industry-leading technology infrastructure that provides the best platforms and tools to exceed our customers' expectations and create a first-class work environment for our employees."
Brown was appointed to the CIO's job earlier this year.
The jobs cover a range of specialties, including engineering, databases, networking, application development and project management. More information is available from the Lowe's career site.
The company says it now has more than 1,000 full-time IT workers.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.