LinkedIn sets price for Thursday IPO
Social network first to IPO gate, offering shares for $45 a pop
Computerworld - Hold on to your hat. The first of the social networking sites is about to launch its initial public offering, or IPO.
Professional social networking site LinkedIn is getting ready to go public on Thursday. The company announced Wednesday afternoon that it's offering up 7.8 million shares at $45 per share.
Specifically, LinkedIn is offering 4,827,804 shares, while 3,012,196 shares are being offered by selling stockholders.
The Wall Street Journal noted that at that stock price, LinkedIn is valued at more than $4 billion.
As little as a week and a half ago, the company was expected to begin offering its stock for between $32 and $35.
Anticipation for this IPO has been growing since LinkedIn, an online network of more than 100 million professionals in about 200 countries, will be the first social network to go public.
Despite being a second-tier player in the social networking world of Facebook and Twitter -- each of which has garnered worldwide attention and millions of users -- LinkedIn is the first one out of the IPO starting gate.
Late last September, reports began to hit that said Facebook was a few years away from its own IPO.
Peter Thiel, a Facebook board member, venture capitalist and PayPal co-founder, is reported to have said at the time that the company was looking at making an IPO sometime after late 2012.
With more than half a billion users and a massive online presence, Facebook would likely draw massive investor interest.
Trading of LinkedIn shares will begin Thursday morning on the New York Stock Exchange. LinkedIn will be traded under the symbol LNKD.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Transforming Business Performance with Hybrid Networks IT organizations globally are faced with the challenge to transform network architectures to deliver the right performance and reliability cost-effectively while retaining control....
- Accelerating the Delivery Microsoft Office 365 Many organizations use Office 365's cloud-based mail, collaboration and communication services as the dominant workload. However, as services move to the cloud, data...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts