RIM sells 250,000 PlayBooks in first month, analyst estimates
RIM tablet edges out Xoom's early reported sales
Computerworld - An estimated 250,000 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets have been sold in the first month, edging out Motorola Xoom's early sales, an analyst at RBC Capital Markets said Wednesday.
Motorola Mobility said in late April that it sold 250,000 Xooms in the first five weeks it was on sale, which were Xoom's entire sales in the first quarter of 2011.
The PlayBook sales estimate, included in a note from RBC analyst Mike Abramsky, came after recent checks were conducted at 180 Best Buy locations, where 84% of the 64GB PlayBooks were sold after first going on sale April 19.
Abramsky said Research in Motion might sell 500,000 PlayBooks in its first quarter.
However, Abramsky has done the most thorough checks on sales of PlayBooks and recently downgraded RIM's stock, citing RIM's expected slowdowns of smartphone sales in the U.S. and Latin America.
Abramsky's latest note also indicates that RIM smartphone shipments could drop by 9%, to 13.5 million devices, when RIM gives its first fiscal quarter earnings report June 24.
RIM now has the lowest number of smartphone models on sale at U.S. carriers since mid-2007, Abramsky noted.
Despite a RIM recall of 1,000 PlayBooks earlier this week, Abramsky said his retail store checks show that customer returns of the devices "are nominal."
The ultimate success of the PlayBook could depend on many factors, analysts have noted, including how soon RIM delivers a promised free upgrade that provides native e-mail and when U.S. carriers launch 3G and 4G versions of the tablet.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts