IDG News Service - VMware has entered into an agreement to acquire Shavlik Technologies, a company that develops traditional and cloud-based management products for small and medium-sized businesses, helping them to manage, monitor and secure both physical and virtual environments, the two companies said on Monday.
Financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed, but the acquisition is expected to be completed later this quarter, according to a statement.
VMware and Shavlik are not new acquaintances. The two companies have already worked on the development of VMware GO, a cloud-based service that was first announced in 2009 and comes in a standard and Pro version.
The standard version is a free Web-based service that guides users through the installation and configuration of VMware virtualization platform vSphere. Go Pro adds IT management, and using the service, small and midsize businesses can secure their physical and virtual infrastructure using patch management and hardware asset management, and maintain compliance with software license management, according to VMware.
VMware will continue to push the SMB market, and the acquisition of Shavlik will help the company develop and evolve current products -- besides VMware GO, the company also offers vSphere Essentials, it said.
The deal will also help Shavlik expand its presence to global markets much faster by working with managed service providers and solution providers, founder Mark Shavlik said in a blog post. Shavlik's existing customers will continue to be supported as they are today, he wrote.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts