IDG News Service - VMware has entered into an agreement to acquire Shavlik Technologies, a company that develops traditional and cloud-based management products for small and medium-sized businesses, helping them to manage, monitor and secure both physical and virtual environments, the two companies said on Monday.
Financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed, but the acquisition is expected to be completed later this quarter, according to a statement.
VMware and Shavlik are not new acquaintances. The two companies have already worked on the development of VMware GO, a cloud-based service that was first announced in 2009 and comes in a standard and Pro version.
The standard version is a free Web-based service that guides users through the installation and configuration of VMware virtualization platform vSphere. Go Pro adds IT management, and using the service, small and midsize businesses can secure their physical and virtual infrastructure using patch management and hardware asset management, and maintain compliance with software license management, according to VMware.
VMware will continue to push the SMB market, and the acquisition of Shavlik will help the company develop and evolve current products -- besides VMware GO, the company also offers vSphere Essentials, it said.
The deal will also help Shavlik expand its presence to global markets much faster by working with managed service providers and solution providers, founder Mark Shavlik said in a blog post. Shavlik's existing customers will continue to be supported as they are today, he wrote.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts