IDG News Service - VMware has entered into an agreement to acquire Shavlik Technologies, a company that develops traditional and cloud-based management products for small and medium-sized businesses, helping them to manage, monitor and secure both physical and virtual environments, the two companies said on Monday.
Financial terms of the acquisition were not disclosed, but the acquisition is expected to be completed later this quarter, according to a statement.
VMware and Shavlik are not new acquaintances. The two companies have already worked on the development of VMware GO, a cloud-based service that was first announced in 2009 and comes in a standard and Pro version.
The standard version is a free Web-based service that guides users through the installation and configuration of VMware virtualization platform vSphere. Go Pro adds IT management, and using the service, small and midsize businesses can secure their physical and virtual infrastructure using patch management and hardware asset management, and maintain compliance with software license management, according to VMware.
VMware will continue to push the SMB market, and the acquisition of Shavlik will help the company develop and evolve current products -- besides VMware GO, the company also offers vSphere Essentials, it said.
The deal will also help Shavlik expand its presence to global markets much faster by working with managed service providers and solution providers, founder Mark Shavlik said in a blog post. Shavlik's existing customers will continue to be supported as they are today, he wrote.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts