RIM recalls about 1,000 PlayBook tablets
Says software on some tablet won't load at set-up
Computerworld - Research in Motion said it has recalled an estimated 1,000 PlayBook tablets, indicating a small number had reached customers who were unable to properly load software at setup.
Engadget first reported that the group of faulty PlayBooks had been shipped to Staples Inc.; RIM later confirmed the recall.
RIM said most of the problem devices were still in warehouses or stores and hadn't reached customers. RIM said it will replace the affected devices and told customers who had received one to contact RIM for assistance.
The 7-in. PlayBook has not been perceived as a device that would outsell the iPad or iPad 2 tablets, but is expected to draw greater interest from corporate IT and business users of BlackBerry smartphones.
Still, the PlayBook got lukewarm reviews when introduced April 19, partly because it doesn't have natively installed email, requiring users to rely on Web email or a Bluetooth tether to a BlackBerry smartphone already connected to corporate email through the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. RIM was also generally criticized for taking so long to launch the tablet, first unveiling it last fall.
Late last month, RIM warned its first quarter results would be lower than expected and said smartphone launches would be later than expected. Its stock has dropped in recent weeks. First quarter results are due out June 16.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts