Microsoft, Nokia aim to nullify Apple trademark on App Store
IDG News Service - New partners Microsoft and Nokia have joined forces, hoping to invalidate Apple's trademark registration for the terms APP STORE and APPSTORE in Europe.
Sony Ericsson and HTC are also joining the effort. Microsoft considers that "App store," like "toy store" or "book store," is a generic term that should continue to be available for everyone to use for stores that sell applications, a Microsoft representative said via e-mail.
Nokia's position is similar: "Both terms lack distinctiveness and so the registrations should not have been granted," a Nokia spokeswoman said via e-mail.
The attack on Apple's trademarks in Europe was started by Amazon.com last month. The electronic retailer has good reason to try to invalidate Apple's trademarks. In March, it launched the Appstore for Android, where is sells applications for Android-based smartphones and tablets. So far, it is only available in the U.S.
At the same time, Apple has applied for a new European trademark on APP STORE, which expands the scope of the existing one.
In Europe, the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM) handles the registration of trademarks. A trademark grants its proprietor, in this case Apple, an exclusive right to prevent unauthorized use of the term without its consent, and if a company infringes on those rights it is allowed to take legal action, the OHIM said on its website.
Microsoft and Amazon are also battling Apple in the U.S. In March, Apple filed a lawsuit against Amazon in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Apple's action came after Amazon launched its Appstore,
Microsoft is trying to stop Apple from getting a trademark on App Store in the U.S.
Apple doesn't comment on pending litigation, a spokesman said via e-mail.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Stop Guessing, Start Measuring: How to Use Mobile Analytics to Deliver the Best App ROI This interactive e-book investigates how mobile is driving the need for app and portfolio measures unlike any we saw in the days of...
- APIs & MBaaS: How to Extend Your Enterprise Architecture for a Mobile World "Mobile," as Forrester Research observes, "is pushing aging web architectures to the brink." Download this whitepaper and learn how each of these requirements...
- Three Principles of the Mobile Era or Mastering the Mobile Shift: Three Keys to the New Enterprise In this whitepaper, you will learn the tools, technologies and strategies that are necessary for a mobile-ready IT to master the 3 keys...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts