Microsoft, Nokia aim to nullify Apple trademark on App Store
IDG News Service - New partners Microsoft and Nokia have joined forces, hoping to invalidate Apple's trademark registration for the terms APP STORE and APPSTORE in Europe.
Sony Ericsson and HTC are also joining the effort. Microsoft considers that "App store," like "toy store" or "book store," is a generic term that should continue to be available for everyone to use for stores that sell applications, a Microsoft representative said via e-mail.
Nokia's position is similar: "Both terms lack distinctiveness and so the registrations should not have been granted," a Nokia spokeswoman said via e-mail.
The attack on Apple's trademarks in Europe was started by Amazon.com last month. The electronic retailer has good reason to try to invalidate Apple's trademarks. In March, it launched the Appstore for Android, where is sells applications for Android-based smartphones and tablets. So far, it is only available in the U.S.
At the same time, Apple has applied for a new European trademark on APP STORE, which expands the scope of the existing one.
In Europe, the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM) handles the registration of trademarks. A trademark grants its proprietor, in this case Apple, an exclusive right to prevent unauthorized use of the term without its consent, and if a company infringes on those rights it is allowed to take legal action, the OHIM said on its website.
Microsoft and Amazon are also battling Apple in the U.S. In March, Apple filed a lawsuit against Amazon in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Apple's action came after Amazon launched its Appstore,
Microsoft is trying to stop Apple from getting a trademark on App Store in the U.S.
Apple doesn't comment on pending litigation, a spokesman said via e-mail.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!