Many Android, iPhone users run mobile apps before getting out of bed
IDG News Service - Thirty-five percent of Android and iPhone owners in the U.S. use apps such as Facebook on their smartphone before even getting out of bed, according to a survey conducted by telecommunications equipment vendor Ericsson.
The most popular in-bed activity is accessing social networks. Eighteen percent of users log in while they are still in bed, and the most popular application is Facebook, Ericsson wrote.
Today, Facebook has more than 250 million active users accessing the site through their mobile devices, according to its own statistics. Smartphone vendors are trying to capitalize on that success with tighter Facebook integration, in an effort to differentiate their products, according to Pete Cunningham, an analyst at Canalys. For example, HTC has launched the Android-based ChaCha and Salsa, which have a dedicated Facebook button. INQ and Sony Ericsson have also improved Facebook integration on some of their smartphones.
In the next year, we'll see more phone makers doing the same, but then they will have to find other ways to make their products stick out, Cunningham said.
Social networking remains important when people get up, with 22% of users checking in during the morning, and another 20% doing a last check in bed before going to sleep at night. However, the most popular time to check what friends are up to is late in the evening before heading to bed, according to Ericsson's study.
The time of the day when smartphone usage is the lowest is during dinner, but 26% of users still can't put their gadgets aside.
Ericsson's survey also highlight the interest in tablets. When all U.S., respondents were asked what device they were
considering purchasing, respondents were almost as likely to choose a tablet as a laptop -- 16% said that a laptop was the device they planned to buy next versus 13% that had their eyes on a tablet.
A new mobile phone was the most common choice with 19%, while only 6% were planning to buy a netbook.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!