Student charged with posting counterfeit coupons to 4chan
IDG News Service - A computer security student at New York's Rochester Institute of Technology has been arrested on charges that he posted counterfeit Internet coupons to the 4chan and Zoklet websites.
Lucas Henderson turned himself into federal court in Rochester, New York, Wednesday. He's charged with creating hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of fake coupons for everything from Tide detergent to Sony's PlayStation. "As a result of Henderson's conduct, retailers and manufacturers paid out on the coupons and lost hundreds of thousands of dollars," the U.S. Department of Justice said Wednesday in a press release.
Charged with wire fraud and counterfeiting, the 22-year-old Henderson faces a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison.
Using the anonymous Tor browser to hide his tracks, Henderson posted coupons for PowerBars, Campbell's soup and Magic Hat Beer, using the online monikers Anonymous123, Anonymous234 and Anonymous345, U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Andre Cicero wrote in a May 10 affidavit filed in connection with the case. The case was filed with the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
But Henderson made a mistake in October, posting a couple of times from an IP address assigned to him at the Rochester Institute of Technology, Cicero said. Henderson is studying information security and forensics at the school, according to Cicero's affidavit.
Henderson's coupons allegedly mimicked legitimate coupons issued by SmartSource.com, a News Corp. subsidiary that has experienced a "rash of counterfeit online coupons," Cicero said.
In recent years, Internet coupon fraud has become a serious problem for retailers, costing them hundreds of millions of dollars, according to Coupon Information Corporation, a nonprofit organization set up to fight coupon fraud. In fact, many retailers no longer accept print-at-home Internet coupons because of fakes.
In December of last year, "$200,000 worth of such counterfeit coupons for Tide laundry detergent were redeemed by consumers over a two to three week period," Cicero said. Tide's parent company, Proctor & Gamble, is the largest coupon issuer in the U.S., but it has "never issued a single online print-at-home coupon," he said.
Zoklet has now removed most of its popular coupon discussion pages, but cached versions of these pages offer a glimpse into the world of fake coupons. Posters advise against cashing in more than $20 worth of coupons at any time; self-check-out kiosks at Walmart appear to be a favorite location. "Easy tip is going shopping later in the day from 4 to close. Kids are operating the registers as well as self checkout and don't care," wrote one user, named mdbm88, in February of this year.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts