Android, Chrome to highlight Google I/O developer conference
Network World - Thousands of developers will descend upon San Francisco next week to hear the latest pronouncements from Google, with one of the world's hottest technology companies set to discuss the future of Android, Chrome, Google Apps and more.
There is speculation that Google will team with Samsung to launch the first commercially available laptop based on Chrome OS, Google's browser-based operating system. Even if the Samsung rumors don't pan out, an update on Chrome OS is likely given that Google has promised to deliver the first Chrome computers in mid-2011.
IN PICTURES: Visiting the Googleplex
With the Android mobile operating system now at the top of the smartphone market and expected to expand its reach in the coming years, Google will help developers learn how to build applications for the Android Market. Google is also likely to discuss plans for Android tablets, which so far have not made a dent in Apple's dominance of this market with the iPad. Whether Google will discuss the smartphone location tracking controversy remains to be seen.
Google Apps, with Gmail and Google Docs for both consumers and businesses, will also get close attention in the dozens of technical sessions planned for the two-day event Tuesday and Wednesday.
Google I/O sold out in less than an hour when it went on sale in February. Tickets are being offered for upwards of $2,000 on eBay, quadruple the face value. Google also gave away tickets to 100 developers in a series of code-writing contests.
A Google I/O conference app for Android phones is already available to help attendees navigate the schedule, and learn about companies featured in the so-called Developer Sandbox. For those who can't make it, keynotes will be streamed live online.
THE STARTUP HUNTER: Meet Google's human search engine for innovation
Google is a fast-growing company and one in transition, with co-founder Larry Page taking the CEO role over from longtime chief executive Eric Schmidt. Google earned $8.58 billion in revenue in the most recent quarter, and net income of $2.3 billion.
Follow Jon Brodkin on Twitter: www.twitter.com/jbrodkin
Read more about software in Network World's Software section.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts