Android, Chrome to highlight Google I/O developer conference
Network World - Thousands of developers will descend upon San Francisco next week to hear the latest pronouncements from Google, with one of the world's hottest technology companies set to discuss the future of Android, Chrome, Google Apps and more.
There is speculation that Google will team with Samsung to launch the first commercially available laptop based on Chrome OS, Google's browser-based operating system. Even if the Samsung rumors don't pan out, an update on Chrome OS is likely given that Google has promised to deliver the first Chrome computers in mid-2011.
IN PICTURES: Visiting the Googleplex
With the Android mobile operating system now at the top of the smartphone market and expected to expand its reach in the coming years, Google will help developers learn how to build applications for the Android Market. Google is also likely to discuss plans for Android tablets, which so far have not made a dent in Apple's dominance of this market with the iPad. Whether Google will discuss the smartphone location tracking controversy remains to be seen.
Google Apps, with Gmail and Google Docs for both consumers and businesses, will also get close attention in the dozens of technical sessions planned for the two-day event Tuesday and Wednesday.
Google I/O sold out in less than an hour when it went on sale in February. Tickets are being offered for upwards of $2,000 on eBay, quadruple the face value. Google also gave away tickets to 100 developers in a series of code-writing contests.
A Google I/O conference app for Android phones is already available to help attendees navigate the schedule, and learn about companies featured in the so-called Developer Sandbox. For those who can't make it, keynotes will be streamed live online.
THE STARTUP HUNTER: Meet Google's human search engine for innovation
Google is a fast-growing company and one in transition, with co-founder Larry Page taking the CEO role over from longtime chief executive Eric Schmidt. Google earned $8.58 billion in revenue in the most recent quarter, and net income of $2.3 billion.
Follow Jon Brodkin on Twitter: www.twitter.com/jbrodkin
Read more about software in Network World's Software section.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts