IDG News Service - China announced Wednesday it had established a new department to oversee information on the Internet, in a move that could lead to more effective Web censorship.
The announcement came from China's State Council General Office. The department will carry out policies relating to how information is disseminated over the Internet. This includes supervising the management of Web information, along with Internet news services.
The department will also manage the development of gaming, video and publication industries on the Internet. It will also investigate and prosecute websites for violating laws.
The new department appears to be a move by the Chinese government to unify its enforcement of the Web into one regulatory body. Previously, several different government departments have had certain levels of jurisdiction over the Internet.
But in some instances, this has caused conflicts. In 2009, China's Ministry of Culture and the General Administration of Press and Publication were caught in a turf war over who had the authority to approve a "World of Warcraft" expansion pack.
In the government's eyes, these sorts of past disputes have highlighted the need for a strong unifying arm to administer the Internet, said Mark Natkin, managing director of Beijing-based research firm Marbridge Consulting.
"The new body should allow policy makers and top authorities to better coordinate the various regulatory bodies that oversee the Internet," he said. "This will allow for tighter regulations of the Internet."
China is one of the fastest growing Internet markets, with 457 million Web users, according to the China Internet Network Information Center. But in regulating the Internet, the country's government also strictly polices websites for politically sensitive content.
In the last months, China's Web censorship has also increased to new levels, following an anonymous protest call made over the Internet, urging the Chinese people to start a "Jasmine revolution." Users have been barred from searching for the term "jasmine" on microblogs, while experts have said China is cracking down on human rights activists by blocking Gmail access in the country.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense
- The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach
- In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms
- Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media
- This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and... All Government IT White Papers
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- All Government IT Webcasts