Free Android tethering apps blocked by most carriers
Verizon says Google is responsible for blocking the apps; reports say apps blocked on AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile networks
Computerworld - Free Android phone tethering apps found in Android Market are reportedly being blocked by AT&T, Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile.
Sprint continues to support the tethering apps, possibly because it continues to offer unlimited voice, text and data plans.
The other carriers charge $15 to $20 per month to use a smartphone as a portable modem for a tablet or PC. The free tethering apps available in the Android Market, like PdaNet, represent a free or cheap alternative to those charges.
According to Technologizer and other blogs, T-Mobile has long opposed free tethering apps, while Verizon and AT&T have only recently begun the bans.
When users attempt to install tethering apps on the phones of those carriers, they get an on-screen notice that reads, "This item is not available on your carrier."
A spokeswoman at Verizon suggested that any blocking of the free tethering apps is done by Android OS developer Google. However, she wouldn't say whether Google was doing so at the behest of Verizon or the other carriers.
"Google is ultimately responsible for what is in the marketplace," the Verizon spokeswoman said.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!