Ballmer surprises with Microsoft-RIM partnership
Bing to be default search in BlackBerry devices
Computerworld - Microsoft will invest in the BlackBerry platform from Research In Motion, becoming the default search provider in BlackBerry browsers and maps, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said during a surprise keynote appearance at BlackBerry World today.
The news shocked several live bloggers and analysts who tweeted the news from the keynote event in Orlando. Ballmer appeared onstage at about 9:30 a.m. Eastern time and surprised many of the 6,000 in attendance.
"We're going to invest uniquely into the BlackBerry platform," Ballmer said, according to several live bloggers. "Bing will become the default search provider in the browser and maps" on BlackBerry devices, he added, saying "I've never been more excited about where our future is going."
A video shown during the keynote showed BlackBerry voice search also using Bing, according to live bloggers. Gartner analyst Michael Gartenberg tweeted the news of Bing becoming the default search engine on BlackBerry devices. Later, Gartenberg tweeted: "Wonder how much MSFT paid for that Bing deal?" Microsoft's partnership with Nokia, announced in February, cost Microsoft more than $1 billion, according to reports.
Blogger Kevin Michaluk from Crackberry.com said Ballmer talked of expanding the BlackBerry-Bing relationship, with more integration due in time for the holiday shopping season. Microsoft and RIM executives were not immediately available to offer further details.
Noting that Ballmer left the stage after about 10 minutes, Michaluk commented, "Wow ... that was weird and cool."
Computerworld will update this story as information becomes available.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts