Yahoo says 1M users affected by email outage
Email service back up after Thursday's trouble
Computerworld - A day after Yahoo's email service suffered a partial outage, the company reported that about 1 million users were affected.
The problem began at 7:30 a.m. Pacific time Thursday and was at its worst at 11 a.m., according to Stephanie Shum, senior product manager for Yahoo Mail. At the problem's peak, about 1 million users were without email service, she added.
"We have isolated the root causes of the problem and have restored service," Shum wrote in a blog post. "No email data was lost or at risk. We understand that being denied access to your email is extremely frustrating. We are taking steps to prevent this kind of outage in the future."
It's not clear when Yahoo got email back up for all of its users. Yahoo also did not specify what caused the problem.
While Yahoo email users have been tweeting about being happy the service is online, many say they resent the downtime -- even if they don't have to pay for the service.
"Yahoomail outage at such a critical time for me: I should have been faster with the gmail migration.. #OUCH," tweeted Saemon.
And ADVoPM tweeted, "The #yahoomail outage has seriously affected our ability to do our work today. Need to find a yahoo alternative."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts