Yahoo says 1M users affected by email outage
Email service back up after Thursday's trouble
Computerworld - A day after Yahoo's email service suffered a partial outage, the company reported that about 1 million users were affected.
The problem began at 7:30 a.m. Pacific time Thursday and was at its worst at 11 a.m., according to Stephanie Shum, senior product manager for Yahoo Mail. At the problem's peak, about 1 million users were without email service, she added.
"We have isolated the root causes of the problem and have restored service," Shum wrote in a blog post. "No email data was lost or at risk. We understand that being denied access to your email is extremely frustrating. We are taking steps to prevent this kind of outage in the future."
It's not clear when Yahoo got email back up for all of its users. Yahoo also did not specify what caused the problem.
While Yahoo email users have been tweeting about being happy the service is online, many say they resent the downtime -- even if they don't have to pay for the service.
"Yahoomail outage at such a critical time for me: I should have been faster with the gmail migration.. #OUCH," tweeted Saemon.
And ADVoPM tweeted, "The #yahoomail outage has seriously affected our ability to do our work today. Need to find a yahoo alternative."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- Why Dell PowerEdge VRTX for ROBO and Small Offices Remote and branch offices, as well as small business, often have the dilemma of balancing office productivity with the complexity of providing IT...
- Achieve Deeper Network Security and Application Control Next-generation firewalls (NGFWs) have emerged to revolutionize network security as we once knew it. Yet to safeguard an organization from today's ever-evolving threats,...
- It's Who You Know: CDW + CISCO Unified Communications and Collaboration When it comes to unified communications and collaboration, it's not just what you know. It's who you know. That's why we partner with...
- How to Modernize Your IT Infrastructure & Streamline Operations Increasing line of business demands? Shrinking IT budget? See how Red Hat can help you meet growing.
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>>
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!