Yahoo says 1M users affected by email outage
Email service back up after Thursday's trouble
Computerworld - A day after Yahoo's email service suffered a partial outage, the company reported that about 1 million users were affected.
The problem began at 7:30 a.m. Pacific time Thursday and was at its worst at 11 a.m., according to Stephanie Shum, senior product manager for Yahoo Mail. At the problem's peak, about 1 million users were without email service, she added.
"We have isolated the root causes of the problem and have restored service," Shum wrote in a blog post. "No email data was lost or at risk. We understand that being denied access to your email is extremely frustrating. We are taking steps to prevent this kind of outage in the future."
It's not clear when Yahoo got email back up for all of its users. Yahoo also did not specify what caused the problem.
While Yahoo email users have been tweeting about being happy the service is online, many say they resent the downtime -- even if they don't have to pay for the service.
"Yahoomail outage at such a critical time for me: I should have been faster with the gmail migration.. #OUCH," tweeted Saemon.
And ADVoPM tweeted, "The #yahoomail outage has seriously affected our ability to do our work today. Need to find a yahoo alternative."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts