IDG News Service - The launch of Apple's iPhone 4 in a white casing generated a long line of Chinese customers outside one of the company's stores in Beijing on Thursday.
Hundreds of people lined up outside the Apple Store in the Sanlitun district of China's capital throughout the day. Some customers reported waiting to buy the device for more than three hours.
"It's been worth it. I'm really looking forward to getting it," said Cao Xuan, a 26-year-old who runs a tourism company. "Everyone likes the color white, it always sells well."
Apple began selling the white version of its popular iPhone 4 on Thursday in more than 20 different countries. However, China, along with Taiwan and Hong Kong, have proven to be the company's fastest growing markets for the iconic device. Last week, Apple's Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook said that for the first three months of 2011, iPhone sales in those markets grew by almost 250% from the same period last year.
On Thursday, customers in the line outside the Apple Store said they previously held off buying the device, simply because they didn't like the black color.
"White is brighter. The color makes you feel young," said Berry Li, a 22-year-old. Li is a fan of Apple and noted that the company's products are hot in the country. "Apple is a leader in technology," he added.
19-year-old high school student Chen Zhi said the white color is especially popular among women. He waited in line to buy the white iPhone 4, and planned to give the handset as a gift to his girlfriend.
"New things are always fashionable." he said. "I think girls always like products that are white in color."
Annie Zhang, a 35-year-old, had held off buying an iPhone previously. "I don't like the black color," Zhang said as she stood in line. "I've always been waiting for the white-colored iPhone 4."
"I had originally come here today to buy the first generation iPhone because I know it comes in white. But then I found out they were selling a white colored version of the iPhone 4," she said. "So it's quite a coincidence."
Apple currently has 8.3% share of China's smartphone market, according to Beijing-based research firm Analysys International. Nokia, Samsung and Motorola lead the market.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!