IDG News Service - Verizon Wireless has determined the cause of an outage that crippled its LTE mobile data network starting late Tuesday and it is working to solve the problem, but the carrier has not estimated when the system will be restored.
Users of LTE (long-term evolution) smartphones can still make phone calls and use slower data connections on Verizon's CDMA (Code-Division Multiple Access) network, according to a Verizon statement released at 4:15 p.m. Eastern time Wednesday. However, subscribers can't use the LTE network, Verizon's fastest, nor activate any LTE devices, the company said.
"We have determined the cause of our issue and are working with our major vendors to restore connections," the statement said. "We expect to see the network restore on a market-by-market basis. Timing and additional details will be provided as they become available."
Verizon first acknowledged the problem earlier on Wednesday after published reports that the network had gone down nationwide. The outage was the first major blemish on the LTE network, which was launched commercially late last year. Verizon's is the first national network using LTE and has delivered average speeds of 6.5M bps downstream and 5M bps upstream in tests by PC World. Rival AT&T plans to launch an LTE network later this year.
Some subscribers reported having to use EV-DO, Verizon's 3G technology, for data connections on Wednesday. In its statement, Verizon warned that some users might only be able to use CDMA 1x-RTT, the carrier's slowest mobile data network, during the outage.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!