Apple to finally deliver white iPhone 4 Thursday
'Expect Apple fever in China,' says analyst, who predicts up to 1.5M white iPhones sold this quarter
Computerworld - Apple will start selling the long-delayed white iPhone 4 on Thursday, the company said today.
The new iPhone 4 will be available in the U.S. and 27 other countries, including Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan and the U.K., at prices of $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB smartphone with a two-year service contract.
"The white iPhone 4 has finally arrived and it's beautiful," said Philip Schiller, Apple's head of marketing, in a statement today. "We appreciate everyone who has waited patiently while we've worked to get every detail right."
Apple originally announced the first-ever white iPhone last June, when it launched the iPhone 4. Within days, however, it acknowledged "challenging" manufacturing issues and said it would be delayed until late July. It later revised that to the end of 2010.
Since then, the white iPhone has become an almost mythical device, with its imminent release repeatedly foretold.
The immediate availability of the white iPhone in multiple markets, especially Greater China -- which Apple defines as the People's Republic of China, Hong Kong and Taiwan -- will give Apple a bump in sales, according to one analyst.
"Expect Apple fever in China," said Brian White, an analyst with Ticonderoga Securities, in a research note to clients today. "We believe the 'white' iPhone will prove very popular in Asian geographies, especially China and Japan."
In an interview earlier this week, White argued that the new model would provide "a bit of a tailwind" for sales in the second quarter, particularly in China, where he said "white anything is popular" among consumers.
Today, White estimated that the white iPhone 4 will boost sales of Apple's smartphone by 1 to 1.5 million units per quarter, at least until the next-generation iPhone appears.
Most experts, White included, now believe that Apple will depart from its usual iPhone refresh window of June-July, and debut a new model in September instead.
"This will give some people the excuse to buy an iPhone ahead of the iPhone 5," said White on Monday. "Buying consumer electronics devices is not always a completely rational decision. People buy Apple products for many different reasons, including status, aesthetics, functionality, quality and the 'cool factor.' The delay of the white iPhone has created a certain mystique and scarcity value around it."
Apple will sell the white iPhone at its retail stores, some authorized resellers, and through its online store beginning Thursday. AT&T and Verizon outlets will also start selling the smartphone tomorrow.
Although the current iPhone 4 ships to customers within 24 hours of ordering online, it's unknown whether the white model will be immediately or quickly backordered.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Trade-in volume signals 'tremendous' sales for iPhone 6
- Carmakers put Apple's CarPlay in the slow lane
- What matters in the fall smartphone lineup: brand, display size, battery life, LTE
- Why HTC put Windows on its M8 smartphone
- iPhone 5C's China bust raises questions about Apple's pricing for '14 models
- China scrubs Apple's iPad and MacBooks from government buying list
- Navdy's planned heads-up car display works with iPhone or Android
- Circle the date: Apple's iPhone 6 event slated for Sept. 9
- Stable Mac prices fuel reliable profit engine
- Apple will 'set the world on fire' with iPhone 6 sales
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts