Macworld UK - Apple has abandoned its attempt to secure the 'pod' trademark, leaving competitors free to use the word in their product names and branding.
According to Patently Apple the company gave up on its seven-year battle on 13 April.
The Canadian Intellectual Property Office revealed the back-and-forth attempts by Apple to trademark the word, with the first filing made on 29 July 2004.
It would appear that Apple initially abandoned its attempts in December last year, only to revive them again in January, before abandoning them again.
Though the 'iPod' trademark is still legally protected, the news could lead to a number of other companies using the word 'pod' in their attempts to market their products.
Apple had made moves to stop other companies using the word in their names in the past, most notably Gear4, which was known as PodGear until early 2006.
More recently, Apple's trademarking efforts have been focused on the words 'App Store' and variations of them. Microsoft is currently arguing that the term is too generic to trademark while Apple is taking Amazon to court over the Amazon Appstore.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!