Security still top concern with cloud, despite Amazon outage
For most companies, data security worries will continue to be biggest inhibitor to cloud adoption, analysts say
Computerworld - Despite the heightened focus on cloud availability and uptime caused by Amazon's prolonged service outage last week, security will likely remain the bigger long-term concern for enterprises, analysts say.
Amazon last week blamed undisclosed server problems for a partial service outage that either crippled or knocked offline, hundreds of sites, including several major ones. The problems began last Thursday and dragged on for more than two days, causing considerable frustration for some customers of Amazon's cloud services.
Though the company appears to have fixed most problems, it was still working on addressing a few unresolved ones as of Monday morning.
The incident has focused considerable attention on cloud availability issues, with some analysts predicting that companies that were hesitant about moving to the cloud in the first place will be even more reluctant to make the jump now.
"Obviously these issues are very heightened right now and will continue to be so for quite a while, in light of the outage," said Kyle Hilgendorf, a cloud computing analyst at Gartner.
"Amazon portrays an aura of invincibility, whether intentional or not, and this outage is going to remind enterprise customers that nobody is perfect and increased due diligence is required," he said.
Enterprises should be concerned about performance in the cloud, but not any more so than they should be concerned about reliability and performance in other data center or traditional hosting environments, Hilgendorf said.
Security is really the more pressing concern, he added. "I still consider it to be the bigger, long-term concern," Hilgendorf said. "Enterprises I speak to are more concerned about security than they are about availability, reliability or performance."
In most cases, cloud security concerns are related to issues such as the accidental release of protected data, user authentication and access control, and the level of access that that a cloud provider might have to an enterprise's systems and data.
- Cloud security concerns are overblown, experts say
- Cloud computing 2014: Moving to a zero-trust security model
- Amazon hiring 'top secret' IT staff as it fights for CIA work
- Empire state ends IT empire building
- No, your data isn't secure in the cloud
- Snowden revelations may cost U.S. cloud providers billions, says study
- DHS shifting to cloud, agile development to boost homeland security
- Cloud computing's big debt to NASA
- Coke bottler picks SaaS over SAP
- Inmate data paroled from mainframe
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- IDC Whitepaper: Optimal Path to the Cloud Find out what IDC says about Selecting the Optimal Path to Private Cloud in this analyst white paper. Learn the challenges and benefits...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts