Security still top concern with cloud, despite Amazon outage
For most companies, data security worries will continue to be biggest inhibitor to cloud adoption, analysts say
Computerworld - Despite the heightened focus on cloud availability and uptime caused by Amazon's prolonged service outage last week, security will likely remain the bigger long-term concern for enterprises, analysts say.
Amazon last week blamed undisclosed server problems for a partial service outage that either crippled or knocked offline, hundreds of sites, including several major ones. The problems began last Thursday and dragged on for more than two days, causing considerable frustration for some customers of Amazon's cloud services.
Though the company appears to have fixed most problems, it was still working on addressing a few unresolved ones as of Monday morning.
The incident has focused considerable attention on cloud availability issues, with some analysts predicting that companies that were hesitant about moving to the cloud in the first place will be even more reluctant to make the jump now.
"Obviously these issues are very heightened right now and will continue to be so for quite a while, in light of the outage," said Kyle Hilgendorf, a cloud computing analyst at Gartner.
"Amazon portrays an aura of invincibility, whether intentional or not, and this outage is going to remind enterprise customers that nobody is perfect and increased due diligence is required," he said.
Enterprises should be concerned about performance in the cloud, but not any more so than they should be concerned about reliability and performance in other data center or traditional hosting environments, Hilgendorf said.
Security is really the more pressing concern, he added. "I still consider it to be the bigger, long-term concern," Hilgendorf said. "Enterprises I speak to are more concerned about security than they are about availability, reliability or performance."
In most cases, cloud security concerns are related to issues such as the accidental release of protected data, user authentication and access control, and the level of access that that a cloud provider might have to an enterprise's systems and data.
- How the cloud can make IT shops more innovative
- Business users bypass IT and go rogue to the cloud
- HP looks to ease enterprise IT cloud fears
- Afraid of the cloud? How to handle your fears
- 5 reasons why Google can catch Amazon in the cloud
- Public cloud market ready for 'hypergrowth' period
- Cloud security concerns are overblown, experts say
- Cloud computing 2014: Moving to a zero-trust security model
- Amazon hiring 'top secret' IT staff as it fights for CIA work
- Empire state ends IT empire building
- InfoTech: Cloud File Sharing Organizations are increasingly turning to cloud file sharing solutions to meet end-user's needs for a lightweight and effective collaboration tool. In this report,...
- Accelerating the Delivery Microsoft Office 365 Many organizations use Office 365's cloud-based mail, collaboration and communication services as the dominant workload. However, as services move to the cloud, data...
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Journey to the Hybrid Cloud Cloud adoption continues to expand beyond the base of cutting edge early adopters and is now reaching the "early mainstream" stage.
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!