Users report BlackBerry PlayBooks failing to restart
InfoWorld - Some BlackBerry PlayBook tablets that Research in Motion released last Tuesday are suddenly failing to restart. Some even simply stop working while in use and do not restart. InfoWorld.com experienced this issue with its own review unit after three days of use, and about a dozen users have reported the identical problem on RIM's BlackBerry.com support site.
The initial reports began on the evening of April 20, one day after the PlayBook was released, though most users reported the problem after a few days of use. For units experiencing this "sudden death syndrome," the PlayBook's indicator light double-blinks when turned on but the screen remains black.
[ Learn how to manage iPhones, Androids, BlackBerrys, and other smartphones in InfoWorld's 20-page Mobile Management Deep Dive PDF special report. | Keep up on key mobile developments and insights via Twitter and with the Mobile Edge blog and Mobilize newsletter. ]
Some users have been able to reinstall the PlayBook OS from the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software, but InfoWorld has not: The PlayBook is detected by the manager software but is unable to communicate with it or reinstall the OS. Most users who've described the problem at the BlackBerry support site report they have also been unable to reinstall the OS.
RIM's support staff has not yet responded to the users on the support forum, and several users who called RIM said the support staff had no solution. RIM also did not respond to InfoWorld's inquiry.
It's unclear how many units are affected by the sudden death syndrome, though most reviews of the PlayBook have criticized its incompleteness.
This article, "Users report BlackBerry PlayBooks failing to restart," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about mobile technology in InfoWorld's Mobile Technology Channel.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts