Users report BlackBerry PlayBooks failing to restart
InfoWorld - Some BlackBerry PlayBook tablets that Research in Motion released last Tuesday are suddenly failing to restart. Some even simply stop working while in use and do not restart. InfoWorld.com experienced this issue with its own review unit after three days of use, and about a dozen users have reported the identical problem on RIM's BlackBerry.com support site.
The initial reports began on the evening of April 20, one day after the PlayBook was released, though most users reported the problem after a few days of use. For units experiencing this "sudden death syndrome," the PlayBook's indicator light double-blinks when turned on but the screen remains black.
[ Learn how to manage iPhones, Androids, BlackBerrys, and other smartphones in InfoWorld's 20-page Mobile Management Deep Dive PDF special report. | Keep up on key mobile developments and insights via Twitter and with the Mobile Edge blog and Mobilize newsletter. ]
Some users have been able to reinstall the PlayBook OS from the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software, but InfoWorld has not: The PlayBook is detected by the manager software but is unable to communicate with it or reinstall the OS. Most users who've described the problem at the BlackBerry support site report they have also been unable to reinstall the OS.
RIM's support staff has not yet responded to the users on the support forum, and several users who called RIM said the support staff had no solution. RIM also did not respond to InfoWorld's inquiry.
It's unclear how many units are affected by the sudden death syndrome, though most reviews of the PlayBook have criticized its incompleteness.
This article, "Users report BlackBerry PlayBooks failing to restart," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about mobile technology in InfoWorld's Mobile Technology Channel.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts