Investigation on after Amazon's cloud nightmare
Amazon's cloud service largely back up after outage that hit Foursquare, Quora
Computerworld - Several days after Amazon.com's cloud outage knocked some high-profile Web sites offline, the company said its cloud service was largely back up and running. Now Amazon is trying to track down the root of the problem.
The outage partially disabled or knocked out popular websites including Quora, Foursquare and Reddit.
On Saturday, two days after Amazon suffered a failure in its Web hosting services, the company announced that it had fixed most of the problem. However, the latest update on Amazon's Service Health Dashboard noted that engineers are still working on some remaining issues with its EBS, or Elastic Block Storage.
At 10:35 p.m. ET on Sunday, Amazon reported, "We're in the process of contacting a limited number of customers who have EBS volumes that have not yet recovered and will continue to work hard on restoring these remaining volumes.
Users still having problems with their hosted Web sites should contact Amazon on their Web Services site. Users should select Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud in the "Services" field. And in the description field, they should list the instance and volume IDs and describe the issue they're experiencing.
The company also noted on its dashboard that workers are "digging deeply into the root causes of this event" and will post their findings in a post mortem.
The trouble started a little after 5 a.m. Eastern on Thursday when the company's Service Health Dashboard reported connectivity problems that were affecting its Relational Database Service, which is used to manage a relational database in the cloud, across multiple zones in the eastern U.S.
Web sites Reddit, Foursquare, Quora and HootSuite, which suffered through Amazon's outage, are back up today.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enterprises increasingly look to the private cloud
- Without the cloud, Microsoft may lose grasp on the enterprise
- How the cloud can make IT shops more innovative
- Business users bypass IT and go rogue to the cloud
- HP looks to ease enterprise IT cloud fears
- Afraid of the cloud? How to handle your fears
- 5 reasons why Google can catch Amazon in the cloud
- Public cloud market ready for 'hypergrowth' period
- Cloud security concerns are overblown, experts say
- Cloud computing 2014: Moving to a zero-trust security model
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Leave No App Behind with Software Defined Application Services F5 Software Defined Application Services (SDAS) is the next-generation model for delivering application services that enables service injection, consumption, automation, and orchestration across...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts