Renesas to restart quake-hit factory earlier than expected
IDG News Service - Renesas Electronics expects to restart production at a quake-hit factory in east Japan in mid June, about two weeks earlier than initially planned, it said Friday.
The company's Naka factory in Ibaraki prefecture, northwest of Tokyo, was damaged during the magnitude 9.0 earthquake on March 11 and has been out of action ever since.
The quake rocked machinery at the plant and left it misaligned. Chip making it a highly automated process with no room for error so any misalignment in machinery means production cannot take place. The company also needs time to filter particles from the air to restore the "clean room" environment in which chips are made.
About 2,000 workers have been called in from across the company to aid in the recovery work. Renesas has been able to bring up the anticipated restart of production because restoration work is going better than expected, said Kyoko Okamoto, a spokeswoman for the Kawasaki company.
Test production on a 200-millimeter (8-inch) wafer line will begin on Saturday and, if all goes well, mass production should begin in mid June. The company did not say when a more advanced 300-millimeter line would resume wafer processing.
The disruption has pushed Renesas to move production of some chips to its other factories in Japan. In some cases, it has shifted production to other chip makers until the factory is up and running again.
Renesas Electronics is a little over a year old. It was formed in April 2010 through the merger of NEC Electronics and Renesas Technology, which itself was created in 2003 from the chip-making units of Hitachi and Mitsubishi Electric.
The company said it will provide a further update on the plant in mid May.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts