Apple's Q2 profit soars on strong iPhone sales
Sales of iPhones grew 113% from last year's second quarter
IDG News Service - Apple's revenue and profit soared in its fiscal second quarter ended March 26, buoyed by strong iPhone sales, the company said Wednesday.
Apple reported a net profit of $5.99 billion for the quarter, growing from the $3.07 billion profit reported a year earlier. The company reported earnings per share of $6.40.
The company reported revenue of $24.67 billion, compared with $13.50 billion in the year-earlier quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had expected revenue of $23.38 billion for the second quarter.
"With quarterly revenue growth of 83% and profit growth of 95%, we're firing on all cylinders," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO, in a statement. "We will continue to innovate on all fronts throughout the remainder of the year."
AT&T was the exclusive seller of the iPhone in the U.S. until this quarter, when Verizon Wireless also started selling the device. Apple shipped 18.65 million iPhones during the quarter, up 113% from a year earlier.
In addition, Apple began shipping the iPad 2 in the U.S. on March 11, and in 25 other countries on March 25. Apple shipped 4.69 million iPads during the quarter, compared with 7.33 million iPads sold in the previous quarter. The first iPad went on sale in April of last year.
Macintosh computer shipments totaled 3.76 million, growing 28% year over year. However, iPod shipments declined by 17%, totaling 9.02 million during the quarter.
For more on Apple's financial picture -- and how it compares to rival Microsoft -- see our story "Apple vs. Microsoft by the numbers."
- Apple unwraps OS X Yosemite public beta Thursday
- Apple grows Mac sales by 18% on the back of the MacBook Air
- Want an Apple watch? Just 3D print one
- What to listen for during Apple's earnings call today
- Mac sales will again outstrip industry average
- Apple, IBM spell out enterprise support for iPhone, iPad
- Timeline: How Apple's iOS gained enterprise cred
- Apple and IBM: A winning combo for IT
- Why Microsoft isn't spooked by the Apple-IBM alliance
- Apple-IBM deal threatens Android's enterprise push
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!