LifeSize videoconferencing to support Skype video
Company says it's looking to meet enterprise customer demand
Computerworld - Skype videoconferencing will soon be supported in the LifeSize Passport business-class videoconferencing system, LifeSize announced Tuesday.
Skype IP voice and videoconferencing are already widely used around the world, mainly by students and consumers. Today's announcement means that a room-based LifeSize Passport user will be able to interact in video and audio calls with Skype users globally. The software to support Skype in LifeSize Passport will be free and will be offered as a free update for existing Skype users globally later this month.
Passport users will show up in Skype like another Skype member, LifeSize officials said.
"With the 'consumerization of IT' whereby people are bringing Skype into the workplace, more enterprises are looking for synergistic solutions like this that include Skype," said David Gurle, general manager of Skype Enterprise, in a statement. "We're delighted that LIfeSize is helping [enterprises] address customer demand by delivering enterprise-class videoconferencing with Skype."
LifeSize Passport units, first introduced in 2009, offer high-definition video and start at less than $2,500. Initially, the Skype video will not be high definition, a LifeSize spokeswoman said.
Passport units serve small meeting rooms, teleworkers and individual offices, according to LifeSize, which is a division of Logitech.
Craig Malloy, CEO of LifeSize, said LifeSize is the first business-class videoconferencing provider to plug into Skype. LifeSize started working with Skype on the joint technology two years ago.
Logitech already offers a $100 B910 Webcam for HD video and stereo audio to use on a PC with Skype.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!