Seagate to buy Samsung disk drive operations for $1.375B
IDG News Service - Samsung Electronics will sell its hard-disk drive operations to Seagate Technology in a $1.375 billion deal that will create strong links between the two companies, they said Tuesday.
The deal stands to solidify Seagate's position as the world's second-largest maker of hard disk drives and comes less than a month after market leader Western Digital said it would buy Hitachi GST. If both deals go through, the hard disk drive market will have just three players by the end of the year, the other being Toshiba.
Seagate will pay around $1.375 billion for Samsung's hard-disk operations, half in cash and half in Seagate shares.
The companies expect to complete the deal by the end of 2011, at which time Samsung will own around 9.6% of Seagate. It will also get to nominate a member to Seagate's board of directors.
In addition to the transfer of the hard disk drive business, the two companies will expand an existing patent cross-licensing agreement and collaborate on development of enterprise storage systems. Samsung will supply flash memory chips for use in Seagate's solid-state drives and Seagate will supply disk drives for use in Samsung's PCs, laptops and consumer electronics products.
Seagate said the deal will give it better access to potential customers in China and Southeast Asia, and a steady supply of flash memory chips for its expanding range of solid-state drives. It should also mean faster development cycles for both companies, according to Seagate.
A possible deal between the two companies was reported by The Wall Street Journal's website on Monday.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts