EMC integrates Avamar backup software and Data Domain
EMC adds changed-block tracking to Avamar 6.0 for fast restore capabilities
Computerworld - EMC today introduced the first major upgrade to its Avamar deduplication backup software since 2009, which integrates with the company's Data Domain appliances to give administrators a single view of their EMC backup environments.
Using VMware's vStorage API, Avamar 6.0 can perform centralized virtual machine (VM) backups to Data Domain appliances without having to run backup tasks from inside each individual VM.
"You're bringing Avamar deduplication and Data Domain deduplication under a single backup management application," said Rob Emsley, senior director of product marketing. We have lot of customers who use Data Domain and Avamar. This allows customer to consolidate backup software through the Avamar solution. So you can use Avamar across enterprise workloads.
The new version of Avamar also includes changed-block tracking support, which tracks incremental changes to blocks and files so that when an administrator needs to perform a data restore, only the changed data is needed, alleviating the need to restore full backups.
"That reduces the amount of data that needs to be processed," said Rob Emsley, is senior director of product marketing. "If you can restore only what's needed to create a full copy of the data, then the benefit is that you can recovery more quickly."
Andrew Grech, infrastructure and operations manager Corporate Express, a Dutch office supply company, said his organization beta tested Avamar 6.0 and saw "distinct value" in the ability to backup "additional environments using Avamar with Data Domain.
"If we can consolidate other backups, such as Oracle and Exchange, using Avamar to backup to Data Domain [lets us] avoid working with custom scripts and benefit from that same level of simplicity," he said.
Grech added that data restores with Avamar are simple, and don't require the involvement of the Corporate Express infrastructure group.
"They are purely driven by our frontline help desk team," he said. "The integration of these two EMC products is a huge benefit to us."
Avamar 6.0 also adds image-level backup, which uses a so-called "virtual proxy server" for backups, meaning it creates a layer of abstraction between VMs and backup servers - allowing backup servers to be seen as a flexible pool for VM backup configuration purposes.
EMC also added what it called "flexible image recovery options" to the latest version of Avamar. The feature allows IT administrators to replace a virtual machine with corrupted data with any backup image, instead of having to restore the data through the latest full backup of the VM, which could also be corrupted.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform Datasheet Seamlessly transition to the cloud. Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform delivers an integrated foundation to create, deploy, and scale a secure and...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts