EMC integrates Avamar backup software and Data Domain
EMC adds changed-block tracking to Avamar 6.0 for fast restore capabilities
Computerworld - EMC today introduced the first major upgrade to its Avamar deduplication backup software since 2009, which integrates with the company's Data Domain appliances to give administrators a single view of their EMC backup environments.
Using VMware's vStorage API, Avamar 6.0 can perform centralized virtual machine (VM) backups to Data Domain appliances without having to run backup tasks from inside each individual VM.
"You're bringing Avamar deduplication and Data Domain deduplication under a single backup management application," said Rob Emsley, senior director of product marketing. We have lot of customers who use Data Domain and Avamar. This allows customer to consolidate backup software through the Avamar solution. So you can use Avamar across enterprise workloads.
The new version of Avamar also includes changed-block tracking support, which tracks incremental changes to blocks and files so that when an administrator needs to perform a data restore, only the changed data is needed, alleviating the need to restore full backups.
"That reduces the amount of data that needs to be processed," said Rob Emsley, is senior director of product marketing. "If you can restore only what's needed to create a full copy of the data, then the benefit is that you can recovery more quickly."
Andrew Grech, infrastructure and operations manager Corporate Express, a Dutch office supply company, said his organization beta tested Avamar 6.0 and saw "distinct value" in the ability to backup "additional environments using Avamar with Data Domain.
"If we can consolidate other backups, such as Oracle and Exchange, using Avamar to backup to Data Domain [lets us] avoid working with custom scripts and benefit from that same level of simplicity," he said.
Grech added that data restores with Avamar are simple, and don't require the involvement of the Corporate Express infrastructure group.
"They are purely driven by our frontline help desk team," he said. "The integration of these two EMC products is a huge benefit to us."
Avamar 6.0 also adds image-level backup, which uses a so-called "virtual proxy server" for backups, meaning it creates a layer of abstraction between VMs and backup servers - allowing backup servers to be seen as a flexible pool for VM backup configuration purposes.
EMC also added what it called "flexible image recovery options" to the latest version of Avamar. The feature allows IT administrators to replace a virtual machine with corrupted data with any backup image, instead of having to restore the data through the latest full backup of the VM, which could also be corrupted.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- 2014 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup Software and Integrated Appliances Enterprise backup is among the oldest, most-performed tasks for IT professionals. Gartner provides analysis and evaluation of the leading providers that offer a...
- Data Warehousing: modern ecosystems for big data & analytics Five years ago, IBM observed that the planet was becoming more instrumented, interconnected and intelligent. Some 20,000 engagements later, here's what we've learned...
- IBM PureData System for Analytics compared with Teradata This report from ITG compares the cost and time to value of IBM PureData System for Analytics with that of Teradata DW Appliance...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts