Macworld UK - Apple is planning to expand its data center infrastructure and has poached a leading Microsoft executive to help it achieve this aim, according to reports.
According to the Data Center Knowledge website, Kevin Timmons - previously Microsoft's general manager of Datacenter Services - will take up a leadership position at Apple in the coming weeks.
Microsoft has confirmed Timmons' departure from the company, saying he "has decided to pursue other career opportunities and is no longer working at Microsoft".
Microsoft did not specifically mention what these "career opportunities" entailed. But Dave Ohara, who has worked in data centers at Apple and Microsoft, stated that Timmons was going to move to Apple.
However, Ohara said that Timmons was not going to replace the late Oliver Sanche, who was Apple's top data center executive but died suddenly last year.
Though it is unclear what position Timmons will take at Apple if the reports are correct, speculation about Apple's cloud computing plans is already in full swing. Last week Macworld reported that Apple had bought up 12 petabytes of storage from Isilon Systems.
According to an insider at Isilon, Apple plans to use this storage space to manage the video downloads of its iTunes customers. This is not the first time that Apple's ambitions to move into the video-streaming space have been rumoured - last month a Morgan Stanley analyst claimed that the company was working on a Smart TV prototype.
Data Center Knowledge also points out that Apple is planning to build more data centers in Europe and the U.S. Timmons has experience building data centers in Chicago and Dublin for Microsoft, reportedly delivering the projects on time and on budget.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts