Chip industry to hit record revenue this year, says SIA
IDG News Service - The semiconductor industry will see its total revenues hit record highs of $319 billion this year and $330 billion in 2012 as orders mount for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet PCs, according to a prediction from an industry group.
The U.S.-based Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA) made the prediction in a report that also noted record high revenues of $298 billion last year, up 24% over 2009, which was the year of the global economic crisis.
Sales of new PCs spurred by the launch of Windows 7 and consumer appetite for mobile devices, namely tablet PCs and smartphones, is helping to accelerate chip demand, said Clark Tseng, a senior research manager at the Taiwan office of the Semiconductor Equipment and Materials International (SEMI) industry association.
Spurred by the success of Apple's iPad and interest from consumers, computer makers are targeting the tablet market with dozens of devices.
Market research firm Gartner forecasts shipments of 54.8 million media tablets this year, up 181% over 2010.
"Last year was definitely a rebound, and this year is still strong, especially for mobile devices," Tseng said. "Even after the Japan earthquake, though there's been a bottleneck, the demand is still there."
The powerful March 11 earthquake in northeast Japan has threatened supplies of raw wafer to chip makers as well as materials for other parts of the global tech industry.
Another factor behind the rising revenues is an across-the-board increase in chip quality, which brings higher prices to manufacturers, Tseng said.
The SIA predicted in November that chip industry revenue would go up just 6% this year
SEMI, which is based in the U.S. and has around 2,000 members, distributed the SIA report this week as part of a presentation for members.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts