Chip industry to hit record revenue this year, says SIA
IDG News Service - The semiconductor industry will see its total revenues hit record highs of $319 billion this year and $330 billion in 2012 as orders mount for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet PCs, according to a prediction from an industry group.
The U.S.-based Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA) made the prediction in a report that also noted record high revenues of $298 billion last year, up 24% over 2009, which was the year of the global economic crisis.
Sales of new PCs spurred by the launch of Windows 7 and consumer appetite for mobile devices, namely tablet PCs and smartphones, is helping to accelerate chip demand, said Clark Tseng, a senior research manager at the Taiwan office of the Semiconductor Equipment and Materials International (SEMI) industry association.
Spurred by the success of Apple's iPad and interest from consumers, computer makers are targeting the tablet market with dozens of devices.
Market research firm Gartner forecasts shipments of 54.8 million media tablets this year, up 181% over 2010.
"Last year was definitely a rebound, and this year is still strong, especially for mobile devices," Tseng said. "Even after the Japan earthquake, though there's been a bottleneck, the demand is still there."
The powerful March 11 earthquake in northeast Japan has threatened supplies of raw wafer to chip makers as well as materials for other parts of the global tech industry.
Another factor behind the rising revenues is an across-the-board increase in chip quality, which brings higher prices to manufacturers, Tseng said.
The SIA predicted in November that chip industry revenue would go up just 6% this year
SEMI, which is based in the U.S. and has around 2,000 members, distributed the SIA report this week as part of a presentation for members.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!