Chip industry to hit record revenue this year, says SIA
IDG News Service - The semiconductor industry will see its total revenues hit record highs of $319 billion this year and $330 billion in 2012 as orders mount for mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet PCs, according to a prediction from an industry group.
The U.S.-based Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA) made the prediction in a report that also noted record high revenues of $298 billion last year, up 24% over 2009, which was the year of the global economic crisis.
Sales of new PCs spurred by the launch of Windows 7 and consumer appetite for mobile devices, namely tablet PCs and smartphones, is helping to accelerate chip demand, said Clark Tseng, a senior research manager at the Taiwan office of the Semiconductor Equipment and Materials International (SEMI) industry association.
Spurred by the success of Apple's iPad and interest from consumers, computer makers are targeting the tablet market with dozens of devices.
Market research firm Gartner forecasts shipments of 54.8 million media tablets this year, up 181% over 2010.
"Last year was definitely a rebound, and this year is still strong, especially for mobile devices," Tseng said. "Even after the Japan earthquake, though there's been a bottleneck, the demand is still there."
The powerful March 11 earthquake in northeast Japan has threatened supplies of raw wafer to chip makers as well as materials for other parts of the global tech industry.
Another factor behind the rising revenues is an across-the-board increase in chip quality, which brings higher prices to manufacturers, Tseng said.
The SIA predicted in November that chip industry revenue would go up just 6% this year
SEMI, which is based in the U.S. and has around 2,000 members, distributed the SIA report this week as part of a presentation for members.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts