Microsoft accuses Google of lying about Apps for Gov't
The two companies have been pitched in a fierce battle for government customers and have been trading barbs and in some cases lawsuits over the past year.
On Monday, Microsoft said that court documents related to a case Google filed charging the government with unfairly favoring Microsoft were unsealed. Those documents include a brief from the Department of Justice noting that "notwithstanding Google's representations to the public at large, its counsel, the GAO and this Court, it appears that Google's Google Apps for Government does not have FISMA certification."
The Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) set a stringent security standard that some federal agencies must require their vendors to comply with.
On official websites, Google prominently markets Google Apps for Government as FISMA-certified.
Microsoft notes that a version of the service, Google Apps Premier, has been certified for FISMA. However, the DOJ explained in its December filing that Google Apps for Government is a more restrictive version of the product and that Google is still in the process of finishing its application for FISMA certification for the product.
Google argues that the two services are essentially the same. "We did not mislead the court or our customers," David Mihalchik, a spokesman for Google Enterprise, said in a statement in response to Microsoft's charges. "Google Apps received a FISMA security authorization from the General Services Administration in July 2010. Google Apps for Government is the same system with enhanced security controls that go beyond FISMA requirements. As planned we're working with GSA to continuously update our documentation with these and other additional enhancements."
Microsoft acknowledged that there are two sides to every story, but not without taking the opportunity to criticize Google.
"As I read all this on Friday, my first reaction was that perhaps something positive could come out of Google's lawsuit. For months a number of people have been asking for details about Google's FISMA certification. To put it charitably, because of Google's unwillingness to provide answers, the facts have remained opaque," David Howard, deputy general counsel for Microsoft, wrote in the blog post.
"As I thought about this further, my second reaction was to wonder what Google is thinking as it continues to claim that Google Apps for Government has FISMA certification. I don't pretend to have all the answers and I acknowledge that there are frequently two sides to a story," he wrote. "But what is the other side of the story in this instance?"
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Datacenter eGuide
- Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide
- In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery
- Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery
- Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging... All Government IT White Papers
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- All Government IT Webcasts