IDG News Service - Lenovo, Motorola and Dell are preparing to launch tablets in China. But can the Happy Pad outsell Apple's iPad?
Chinese PC maker Lenovo, which makes the "LePad," hopes so. The name translates to "Happy Pad" from Chinese to English, and it is just one of several tablets taking aim at Apple as China's tablet market gets more crowded.
U.S.-based companies Motorola and Dell are also planning to launch tablets in China within the coming months. Motorola said it will release its Xoom tablet before the end of June, while Dell has said it will launch its 5-inch Streak tablet in China later this month.
Lenovo launched the LePad tablet at the end of last month. The Android-based tablet is available for purchase online and is gradually appearing in retail outlets.
Apple dominates the tablet market in China, although it has not announced when its second-generation iPad will be available in the country. The company has a 78% share over the market, according to Sun Peilin, an analyst with Beijing-based research firm Analysys International. The remaining 22% belongs to Samsung and other tablet producers.
"Apple's advantage is that they have the brand recognition," sad Sun." When people think about buying a tablet, they automatically think about the iPad."
In China, tablet sales reached about 600,000 units last year, according to estimates from Analysys. But that number is expected to rise to 4.5 million units this year.
Apple also dominates the tablet market worldwide, with a 73% market share, according to research firm IDC.
Analysts have said Lenovo's advantage over the competition includes its well-known brand name in China along with its far-reaching distribution network. Lenovo is currently the top PC seller in China and plans on making its LePad available in 5,000 stores in 400 cities across China this month.
In contrast, Apple has less reach, according to analysts. The company has a total of four Apple stores in Beijing and Shanghai, but also has a Chinese website from which orders can be made as well as from authorized resellers.
"Apple, as far as its retail presence, is much more limited, but that hasn't stopped it," said Bryan Ma, an associate vice president with IDC. "Even if Lenovo has a very deep channel down to the lower tier cities of China, are those the real users of these tablets? Or are they the young professionals in the large cities of China?"
Due to its popularity among consumers, Apple will continue to dominate China's tablet market, even with the competition, Ma added. But it doesn't mean rivals like Lenovo won't be able to make waves of their own.
"One thing that I've noticed is that with the LePad, the name itself sounds like a poor French rendition," Ma said. "But in Chinese, the name sounds pretty good. It's not a bad brand name, and it could give it some legs."
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts