IDG News Service - Laptops and desktops with Advanced Micro Devices' A-series chips will become available from PC makers this quarter, the company's CEO said Monday.
The chips, code-named Llano, are targeted at mainstream laptops and desktops, which will be priced starting at $499. AMD's last chip refresh was in May last year, when the company launched new dual-, triple- and quad-core processors.
"Customers are very excited about Llano coming to market," said Thomas Seifert, interim CEO of AMD, during a conference call.
The A-series chips belong to AMD's new family of integrated chips called Fusion. Llano integrates the CPU and graphics processor on one chip, which helps laptops deliver faster application and graphics performance while consuming less power.
The Llano chips will be the first from AMD made using the 32-nanometer manufacturing process. The improved process will help reduce leakage to make chips more power-efficient.
Fusion chips have been well-received by PC makers, and Llano chips could do well with their price and performance levels, said Dean McCarron, principal analyst at Mercury Research.
AMD in January introduced the first E-series and C-series Fusion chips for netbooks and low-cost laptops, which are now selling well, McCarron said.
Llano chips will compete against Intel's Sandy Bridge microprocessors, which also combine a CPU and GPU on a single chip. Consumer laptops with Sandy Bridge chips started shipping last month.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Software Build Acceleration, Analytics and Build Clouds Discover how to dramatically speed up software builds by automatically distributing build jobs over scalable resource clouds and multi-core desktops, with potential savings...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!