IDG News Service - Laptops and desktops with Advanced Micro Devices' A-series chips will become available from PC makers this quarter, the company's CEO said Monday.
The chips, code-named Llano, are targeted at mainstream laptops and desktops, which will be priced starting at $499. AMD's last chip refresh was in May last year, when the company launched new dual-, triple- and quad-core processors.
"Customers are very excited about Llano coming to market," said Thomas Seifert, interim CEO of AMD, during a conference call.
The A-series chips belong to AMD's new family of integrated chips called Fusion. Llano integrates the CPU and graphics processor on one chip, which helps laptops deliver faster application and graphics performance while consuming less power.
The Llano chips will be the first from AMD made using the 32-nanometer manufacturing process. The improved process will help reduce leakage to make chips more power-efficient.
Fusion chips have been well-received by PC makers, and Llano chips could do well with their price and performance levels, said Dean McCarron, principal analyst at Mercury Research.
AMD in January introduced the first E-series and C-series Fusion chips for netbooks and low-cost laptops, which are now selling well, McCarron said.
Llano chips will compete against Intel's Sandy Bridge microprocessors, which also combine a CPU and GPU on a single chip. Consumer laptops with Sandy Bridge chips started shipping last month.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts