EMC/RSA acquires electronic threat detection firm NetWitness
Network World - EMC Corp. today announced it has acquired NetWitness Corp., security company that makes the NextGen visibility monitoring system to detect electronic threats and malware-based attacks. EMC said NetWitness will operate as part of RSA.
The EMC/RSA buy of the privately held Herndon, Va.-based NetWitness had been anticipated by industry insiders, and the topic of a lot of industry buzz for a while.
MORE ON MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS: Tech M&A deals of 2011
Robert Breza, managing director at RBC Capital Markets, recently remarked with some irony that if RSA had been using the NetWitness monitoring system, RSA might in theory might have been spared the painful experience of the data breach it says occurred in which sensitive information about the RSA SecurID product was stolen by attackers.
RSA has not provided detail on exactly what was stolen in the data breach, but has now confirmed the initial attack started with attackers tricking some RSA employees into opening a malware-laden Excel spreadsheet in an Adobe Flash Player zero-day attack.
The EMC acquisition of NetWitness officially closed on April 1, the company says, without disclosing the acquisition price. EMC/RSA issued a statement saying the company expects to combine the NetWitness monitoring and analysis technology with RSA's enVision security information and event monitoring platform, RSA Data Loss Prevention Suite and RSA CyberCrime Intelligence service. Amit Yoran, CEO of NetWitness, said, "Joining RSA is a strategic move that will deliver significant benefits for NetWitness customers, partners and employees."
Read more about wide area network in Network World's Wide Area Network section.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts