EMC/RSA acquires electronic threat detection firm NetWitness
Network World - EMC Corp. today announced it has acquired NetWitness Corp., security company that makes the NextGen visibility monitoring system to detect electronic threats and malware-based attacks. EMC said NetWitness will operate as part of RSA.
The EMC/RSA buy of the privately held Herndon, Va.-based NetWitness had been anticipated by industry insiders, and the topic of a lot of industry buzz for a while.
MORE ON MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS: Tech M&A deals of 2011
Robert Breza, managing director at RBC Capital Markets, recently remarked with some irony that if RSA had been using the NetWitness monitoring system, RSA might in theory might have been spared the painful experience of the data breach it says occurred in which sensitive information about the RSA SecurID product was stolen by attackers.
RSA has not provided detail on exactly what was stolen in the data breach, but has now confirmed the initial attack started with attackers tricking some RSA employees into opening a malware-laden Excel spreadsheet in an Adobe Flash Player zero-day attack.
The EMC acquisition of NetWitness officially closed on April 1, the company says, without disclosing the acquisition price. EMC/RSA issued a statement saying the company expects to combine the NetWitness monitoring and analysis technology with RSA's enVision security information and event monitoring platform, RSA Data Loss Prevention Suite and RSA CyberCrime Intelligence service. Amit Yoran, CEO of NetWitness, said, "Joining RSA is a strategic move that will deliver significant benefits for NetWitness customers, partners and employees."
Read more about wide area network in Network World's Wide Area Network section.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts