ThunderBolt sales bolt ahead of iPhone 4 at some Verizon stores
BTIG survey shows majority of 150 stores sell about the same of each smartphone
Computerworld - The ThunderBolt smartphone from HTC has outsold the iPhone 4 at some Verizon Wireless stores, according to a survey of 150 stores by BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk.
A total of 61% of the stores said they sold the same amount of both phones, while 28% had sold more ThunderBolts and 11% said they sold more iPhones (mainly in the Southeast U.S.).
Verizon rarely reveals sales figures, although the company did say that the iPhone 4 launch resulted in more sales in the first two hours than any other phone.
Verizon could not be reached immediately on Friday to comment about the BTIG survey.
A sales representative for a Verizon store in Framingham, Mass., said that the store "sells a lot of iPhone 4s and a lot of ThunderBolts, so they compete against each other pretty well."
While the fast LTE speeds of the ThunderBolt have improved browsing by 10 times or more over Verizon's CDMA/EV-DO 3G network speeds, some reviewers and testers have noticed the smartphone depletes its battery quickly, and Verizon is selling a $50 added-capacity battery atop the $250 hardware price, when purchased with a service plan.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!