ThunderBolt sales bolt ahead of iPhone 4 at some Verizon stores
BTIG survey shows majority of 150 stores sell about the same of each smartphone
Computerworld - The ThunderBolt smartphone from HTC has outsold the iPhone 4 at some Verizon Wireless stores, according to a survey of 150 stores by BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk.
A total of 61% of the stores said they sold the same amount of both phones, while 28% had sold more ThunderBolts and 11% said they sold more iPhones (mainly in the Southeast U.S.).
Verizon rarely reveals sales figures, although the company did say that the iPhone 4 launch resulted in more sales in the first two hours than any other phone.
Verizon could not be reached immediately on Friday to comment about the BTIG survey.
A sales representative for a Verizon store in Framingham, Mass., said that the store "sells a lot of iPhone 4s and a lot of ThunderBolts, so they compete against each other pretty well."
While the fast LTE speeds of the ThunderBolt have improved browsing by 10 times or more over Verizon's CDMA/EV-DO 3G network speeds, some reviewers and testers have noticed the smartphone depletes its battery quickly, and Verizon is selling a $50 added-capacity battery atop the $250 hardware price, when purchased with a service plan.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- How Four Citrix Customers Solved the Enterprise Mobility Challenge Managing mobile devices, data and all types of apps-Windows, datacenter, web and native mobile- through a single solution.
- 8 Steps to Fill the Mobile Enterprise Application Gap Traveling executives and Millennials alike expect to communicate, collaborate and access their important work applications and data from anywhere on whatever device they...
- Seattle Children's Accelerates Citrix Login Times by 500% with Cross-Tier Insight Seattle Children's is a leading research hospital with a large and growing Citrix XenDesktop deployment. With ExtraHop, the IT team at Seattle Children's...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!