iPad, iPhone get remote heart-monitoring app
Physicians can monitor a patient's heart with near-real-time ECG readouts (See video below)
Computerworld - A new mobile application will allow doctors to get near-real-time electrocardiograph (ECG) data delivered to their iPads or iPhones so they can remotely monitor patients' heart health.
GE Healthcare and AirStrip Technologies created the new app, called AirStrip Cardiology, which is compatible with GE's Healthcare MUSE cardiology system. The MUSE system, which compiles cardiology data for analysis, is already in use at hospitals.
ECGs measure electrical cardiac activities, such as ST segment elevation, which is an indication of heart attack risk.
In addition to giving users the ability to see near-real-time ECG readouts and providing access to interactive historical data, the AirStrip app comes with touch-enabled displays for running clinical decision-making software.
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles said it will soon deploy the AirStrip app for its clinicians.
"Among physicians, there is incredible demand for enterprise medical information on iPhones and iPads," said Darren Dworkin, CIO at Cedars-Sinai, in a statement. "This new application introduces secure cardiology decision-making anywhere and anytime. The interactive functionality is more advanced than anything else available today and pushes the path toward a day when all clinical hospital information will be available on a mobile platform."
Physicians typically view ECG data from static scanned images. Remote ECG measurements are challenging because changes as small as a half-millimeter can indicate the presence of a serious heart condition. AirStrip Cardiology's high-resolution views can reveal such small differences on iPad or iPhone screens, according to GE Healthcare.
Information from 12-to-15-lead ECGs can be seen with AirStrip Cardiology. Clinicians can view current data and historical tests conducted up to one year earlier, in 10-second increments.
"Our vision is to eliminate geographic and logistical barriers associated with clinical care," Dr. Cameron Powell, AirStrip's chief medical officer, said in a statement. "GE Healthcare's global presence and cardiac innovations will help us expand our powerful mobile apps to cardiologists worldwide."
More information is available at the AirStrip Technologies website or in the AirStrip Cardiology listing in Apple's iTunes store.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Healthcare IT in Computerworld's Healthcare IT Topic Center.
Pilot fish is trying to help a woman who runs a daycare center -- and since all she wants to do is publish a 30-page online handbook for parents, how hard will that be?
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management
- This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- The Total Cost of Email
- In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based...
- Balancing Security, Compliance and Cost: the Prescription for Healthcare Email Management: Move to the Cloud
- Learn how cloud-based technologies for core productivity tools such as email and collaboration can help healthcare organizations be more efficient with IT dollars...
- Email Security Checklist: Eight Steps for Healthcare Organizations
- Don't let fear of violating Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) codes prevent you from using email to communicate sensitive information.
- Seven questions you must ask before choosing your patient portal solution
- By asking the right questions and connecting the right stakeholders, you can ensure that you implement a true community solution that will improve... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts