For women, Facebook can turn friends into frenemies
Survey shows most women are annoyed by Facebook friends
Computerworld - Think that spending time on Facebook is a good way to relax? Well, think again -- especially if you're a woman.
Actually, even though 79% of women say they use Facebook to keep their friends updated about their lives, a whopping 85% of women say their Facebook friends annoy them, according to a survey by Eversave, a Groupon-like company that offers users local deals.
In other words, Facebook friends can easily become Facebook frenemies.
Eversave interviewed more than 400 women in a study about how social networking influences shopping and the use of deals. However, the survey uncovered some surprising information about the relationship women have with their online friends.
And the fact that women are finding their Facebook friends so annoying is ironic since last summer a study showed that most women who use social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter say they're addicted to them.
More than half (57%) of the women polled said they communicate with people more online than they do face to face, and 39% called themselves Facebook addicts, according to a report from The Oxygen Media Insights Group, which is part of a company that focuses on television channels and Web sites for women.
That dovetails with another report that came out in October showing social networks make people feel more connected.
So, what do women find so annoying? The biggest complaint is about complaining. Eversave reported that 63% of those surveyed said they get sick of their friends going online to complain all the time.
Update your status with your every move? That irks 65% of women on Facebook. And overly proud mothers are making some frenemies since 57% of women say they're sick of their friends bragging about how smart or cute their kids are.
Another 42% said they're irked by friends sharing unsolicited political views, and 32% are annoyed by friends who use Facebook to brag about their lives.
"The survey validated our thinking on Facebook's growing influence on daily deals, but we were surprised by responses that show the love/hate relationship women have with Facebook," said Jere Doyle, CEO of Prospectiv, which owns Eversave.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Update: Facebook back up after crash
- What to expect in Facebook's earnings call today
- Could you quit Facebook for 99 days?
- Facebook is a school yard bully that's going down
- EPIC says Facebook 'messed with people's minds,' seeks FTC sanctions
- 7 things you need to know about Facebook's mood experiment
- Facebook emotional manipulation test turns users into 'lab rats'
- Facebook tries to stop Snapchat drain with Slingshot
- TMI! Facebook moves to stop over-sharing
- Inside Facebook's brilliant plan to hog your data
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts