IDG News Service - Acer President and CEO Gianfranco Lanci has resigned from the company, Acer said Thursday, without saying why.
J.T. Wang, the chairman of Acer, will take over from Lanci, the company said in a filing to the Taiwan Stock Exchange.
Lanci came to Acer from Texas Instruments (TI) when Acer bought the TravelMate laptop PC business from TI in 1997. He was named president of Acer in 2005, and CEO in 2008, retaining his title of president.
The company's laptop business has been a driving force of double-digit growth at the company for years, and helped catapult Acer into the top three in the global PC industry, behind Hewlett-Packard and in constant competition with Dell for the second ranking.
Wang has been chairman of Acer since taking over from company founder Stan Shih several years ago, after Acer split itself into three distinct companies in order to separate its branded business from its contract manufacturing operations.
Acer took over as the branded company, while Wistron took most of the PC-related contract manufacturing and BenQ took on mobile phone and PC-related work.
Shih retired from Acer in December 2004.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.