IDG News Service - Acer President and CEO Gianfranco Lanci has resigned from the company, Acer said Thursday, without saying why.
J.T. Wang, the chairman of Acer, will take over from Lanci, the company said in a filing to the Taiwan Stock Exchange.
Lanci came to Acer from Texas Instruments (TI) when Acer bought the TravelMate laptop PC business from TI in 1997. He was named president of Acer in 2005, and CEO in 2008, retaining his title of president.
The company's laptop business has been a driving force of double-digit growth at the company for years, and helped catapult Acer into the top three in the global PC industry, behind Hewlett-Packard and in constant competition with Dell for the second ranking.
Wang has been chairman of Acer since taking over from company founder Stan Shih several years ago, after Acer split itself into three distinct companies in order to separate its branded business from its contract manufacturing operations.
Acer took over as the branded company, while Wistron took most of the PC-related contract manufacturing and BenQ took on mobile phone and PC-related work.
Shih retired from Acer in December 2004.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- SDCRAA Case Study: Adapting ERP to business needs This case study goes in depth about San Diego County Regional Airport Authority's created flexibility for a changing industry.
- Accelerating Network Convergence in Virtualized and Cloud Data Centers Adopting a converged networking strategy enables organizations to traffic server and storage I/O workloads on consolidated data throughput channels. Intelligent software helps optimize...
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center The shift to a virtual data center has put tremendous strain on legacy networks; driving the need for more speed, lower latency, more...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts