Mozy releases MozyHome app for iPhone
Promises mobile app for Android-powered devices
The company also said it would soon bring out a file-sharing app for Android-powered mobile devices.
The Mozy app for iOS devices is a new feature included in all current plans for MozyHome customers and is available immediately for download.
Mozy originally announced earlier this month that it would release its mobile app for iPhone, which offers users access to any files backed up with the MozyHome service.
Mozy's mobile apps run as native applications, allowing subscribers to access remotely the files they protect with MozyHome.
With the app, customers can view documents and open them in other applications; preview photos as thumbnails and download those they want to see in full, higher resolution; and post photos to Facebook.
The Mozy app is available for download in the iTunes App Store for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad devices running iOS version 4.0 and later.
The Android app will be available in the Android Market, and will work on devices running Android 2.0 or later.
"When we pre-announced our Mozy app for iPhone and Android to our MozyHome customers a month ago, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive," Charlotte Yarkoni, COO of Mozy, said in a statement.
"The mobile app for MozyHome is just a first step. Within a few short months we plan an update the mobile app for our international customers, as well as for our business customers via MozyPro," Yarkoni said.
"Beyond the mobile app, we plan to release several others features this year that we know our customers are going to love," she added.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!