Mozy releases MozyHome app for iPhone
Promises mobile app for Android-powered devices
The company also said it would soon bring out a file-sharing app for Android-powered mobile devices.
The Mozy app for iOS devices is a new feature included in all current plans for MozyHome customers and is available immediately for download.
Mozy originally announced earlier this month that it would release its mobile app for iPhone, which offers users access to any files backed up with the MozyHome service.
Mozy's mobile apps run as native applications, allowing subscribers to access remotely the files they protect with MozyHome.
With the app, customers can view documents and open them in other applications; preview photos as thumbnails and download those they want to see in full, higher resolution; and post photos to Facebook.
The Mozy app is available for download in the iTunes App Store for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad devices running iOS version 4.0 and later.
The Android app will be available in the Android Market, and will work on devices running Android 2.0 or later.
"When we pre-announced our Mozy app for iPhone and Android to our MozyHome customers a month ago, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive," Charlotte Yarkoni, COO of Mozy, said in a statement.
"The mobile app for MozyHome is just a first step. Within a few short months we plan an update the mobile app for our international customers, as well as for our business customers via MozyPro," Yarkoni said.
"Beyond the mobile app, we plan to release several others features this year that we know our customers are going to love," she added.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!