Mozy releases MozyHome app for iPhone
Promises mobile app for Android-powered devices
The company also said it would soon bring out a file-sharing app for Android-powered mobile devices.
The Mozy app for iOS devices is a new feature included in all current plans for MozyHome customers and is available immediately for download.
Mozy originally announced earlier this month that it would release its mobile app for iPhone, which offers users access to any files backed up with the MozyHome service.
Mozy's mobile apps run as native applications, allowing subscribers to access remotely the files they protect with MozyHome.
With the app, customers can view documents and open them in other applications; preview photos as thumbnails and download those they want to see in full, higher resolution; and post photos to Facebook.
The Mozy app is available for download in the iTunes App Store for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad devices running iOS version 4.0 and later.
The Android app will be available in the Android Market, and will work on devices running Android 2.0 or later.
"When we pre-announced our Mozy app for iPhone and Android to our MozyHome customers a month ago, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive," Charlotte Yarkoni, COO of Mozy, said in a statement.
"The mobile app for MozyHome is just a first step. Within a few short months we plan an update the mobile app for our international customers, as well as for our business customers via MozyPro," Yarkoni said.
"Beyond the mobile app, we plan to release several others features this year that we know our customers are going to love," she added.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Performance Management: The Mobile App Development Playbook This comprehensive 16 page Forrester Research, Inc. report, authored by Jeffrey Hammond, Forrester VP and Principal Analyst, details a number of valuable, commonly...
- New Problems Require Innovative Solutions The mobile market is expected to be worth $25 billion by 2015
- Getting Agnostic about Mobile Devices The idea of being able to interact with customers, prospects, and stay attuned to competitive pressures is not new, but the velocity at...
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts